Gained six pounds this week

(Scott) #1

This isn’t a classic freakout post because I don’t get alarmed over minor gains. I am a bit geeky about watching trends to see what happens over time. I had been doing very well after breaking through a three month stall only to have a six pound gain over a week. My diet has been consistent except one night I tied a macadamia nut bag to my face (imagine a horse with an oat bag).

I have also been feeling unwell due to a cold that I just can’t shake (two weeks) and now with pollen I am unsure of where the cold ends and allergies begin. This has interrupted my running. Looking forward to feeling better soon and doing what I normally do. KCKO

No dietary changes planned so I will just watch and wait.

(John) #2

Probably the macadamia binge had a lot to do with it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

My weight and appetite have been disordered since I had some birthday cake at a party a couple of weeks ago. The hell of it is that it wasn’t worth it, damn it!

Because I lost a lot of weight over 10 months or so (70 lbs) it has been hard for me to accept some regaining over the past several weeks (+5 lbs). It is taking some time to remind and convince myself that this is a way of life and not just a fad diet. And that it’s OK to eat more than 20 carbs a day at certain times.

(mole person) #5

I had to quit nuts. This sort of thing kept happening to me. They might as well have been chocolate covered for the way my brain would shut down and I would turn into a squirrel-zombie.

Sorry to throw the text book at you but Dr Phinney has said infections cause ketone production to stop!

They were able to detect when a person is fighting an infection even before any other symptoms were visible. Simply by monitoring ketone levels in the blood.

Do check for hidden carbs. They are the most common reason people fall out of ketosis. I thought - “no not me, never … “ but Lo and behold yes me. Started gaining … sure it was mostly water weight but it was a rude shock.

Otherwise lately my weight loss has stalled too, I’m about 5lbs (I think) from target weight. So rather than focussing on weight loss I’ve been addressing other health issues, like my vitamin D and magnesium deficiencies. Taking supplements for both now, I feel better, skin is better, cramps and muscle feel better, better bowel movements (was blocked) … thinking about diary and inflammation too …

I guess I’m not expecting my body to dive back into full blown weight loss while I have other factors to address. I could be totally wrong about that idea but that’s my “theory” based on no scientific proof whatsoever. …

(Scott) #7

The weight has started going back down and I am starting to feel a bit better. I try to avoid taking medications but I think I had a mild sinus infection. I almost went to get an antibiotic but instead opted for trying zyrtec. Entertaining thoughts of running in the morning but I also have a truckload of mulch to spread too. One way or another (or both) I will do some form of exercise tomorrow. I even got the bike out this afternoon…and rode up to the tap room. Gotta take the good with the bad sometimes.