Gained over eight lbs in a week, no idea what is going on

Hi everyone. I have been having a strange as hell week. I’ve been doing Keto for over a year now, I started at 470 and have been pretty consistently dropping weight since then, just before Superbowl Sunday I I hit my all time low recently at 291.6 and was thrilled, at the end of December, just before new years I had been at 305, which was a jump up from the about 300 before the holidays. I wasn’t cheating carb wise, but I did some Keto treats and did eat up… but by the start of January I was back down to 300 and soon under it to the weight I had mentioned…

Now the issue is that after the superbowl, again, Keto foods… I kept gaining… first I didn’t’ think much of it, I have fluctuated a few lbs before dropping before… and I was smaller size wise even if I wasn’t smaller on the scale. I could fit into a suit I never could before… and was even squeezing into size 44 jeans… even if I needed a little more of a loss until they would be actually comfortable…

I’m now, as of this morning at 299… and I have no idea why. I did start doing some body weight stuff on Friday, and tried DDP Yoga for the first time a couple of days ago… The body weight definitly had me with some sore muscles… and the DDP was just some basic stuff, but it worked, or it felt like it did. I started tracking my macros again too… after letting that sllide… the issue is, even at a caloric defecit I have balooned now 7 in a week. I have never seen that happen before… and am just lost…I ws so happy to finally be under 300 lbs… and well on my way to my goal of 200 eventually… and it has been a HUGE downer to see a month of progress just vanish.

any ideas?.

(Allie) #2

Likely just inflammation from the new exercise. I wouldn’t panic over a one off increase like that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

It is possible that you have added some muscle or bone density, just from the abundance of nutrients, even while still losing fat. If you are still losing around the waist, I would ignore the scale.

My weight has been varying within the same ten-pound range for the past 12 months, and I can now comfortably wear trousers that would barely fit over my butt, twelve months ago. Body recomposition is a great thing, but it does tend to confuse the scale.

I’ll keep my eyes on it… but the weight gain really seems like one hell of a lot for what is essentially a week. A pound or two I don’t panic over, I am used to a fluctuation like that, but when I saw myself almost at 300 again I won’t lie, I started freaking out a bit…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

My scale can be manipulated quite a bit, but I did have an episode a couple of weeks ago, where early in the week it said I was down ten pounds, then a couple of days later, that I was up by twenty-five, and then by the end of the week it was back in my normal range. I wouldn’t have paid attention, except that all my tricks for getting the lowest reading possible were yielding consistent results, and that never happens. (Also, I did have a 20-lb. whoosh at one point, which was real. So I’m never really sure whether to believe the [spoiler]bloody[/spoiler] thing or not.)

(Mark Rhodes) #6

Perhaps reading this thread may give you some ideas…

(Running from stupidity) #7

Four kilos in a week is monetisable if we can work out why and how :slight_smile:

(Todd Allen) #8

Which means it is not fat unless you have also been doing some crazy binge eating. Water weighs 8 lbs a gallon and our bodies are mostly water. It is easy to gain a few lbs fast by retaining excess water in the guts, muscles or sometimes in feet, lower legs and hands.

I wouldn’t worry about it, just keep it up. Scales are funny sometimes. I was in a 2 month stall where I lost zero weight, but 2 inches off the waist. During the stall one day I gained 6 pounds, and I was back to previous weight 2 days later. It happens.