Frying Food

(Richard Morris) #21

You mean this one :jelly: ? : jelly :

(paddy0761) #22

Coconut oil? Depends where you live and the time of year :slight_smile:

I canā€™t believe itā€™s the end of December and the coconut oils is still sludgy here in Perth. Iā€™ve never experienced this before. It was only 22C here today! Temp in normally around 35C this time of year.

(jennifersmatthews) #23

That would be helpful! Iā€™m on the verge of returning it. Iā€™m just lost and really would rather not burn my house down. Lol.

(mwall) #24

Well yes, yes I do! Holy amazeballs. LMBO.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

WAGYU!!! WOW!!! That is GOLD

(Vesa McD) #26

Awesome free score today!

I was just visiting a friends place with my family and noticed an awesome asian deep fat fryer on their table and asked about it. I was excited because of what @Brenda has been cooking in hers. Turns out it was a rice cooker. :frowning: and actually had a rice dish in itā€¦ sighā€¦

AND THENā€¦ they say they have a deep fryer but never use it because itā€™s unhealthy. Not once this year. So they gave it to me! Awesome. Now where do I go get my fat to cook in. The search begins.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #27

From your butcher or grocery meat department. Buy beef suet or pork fat and render it yourself (melt it slowly and strain out the yummy cracklinā€™s)
Questions? Just ask.

(Mark Myers) #28

Brenda, if I want to get a deep fryer, what do I look for to get one that will let me use fats that are solid at room temperature such as Lard? External heater or a pre-heater? How would I know without seeing it?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #29

:jelly:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #30

My fryer did not say ā€œdo not use lardā€, but from what I have read, solid fats are not recommended for deep fryers with exposed elements.

(Mark Myers) #31

So would I look for a non-exposed element fryer? Iā€™ve cooked with Lard and loved it. Tallow and Duck fat might be even better. All of them are solid at room temp. If I figure this out, Iā€™m going to post it here.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #32

Yes. Mine has only a smooth walled well for the fat. The element is not visible.

(Smita Patel) #33

Hey Richard, where exactly in Canberra do you get that grass fed dripping?

(Mark Myers) #34

So it is an internal heater? Does it say not to use Lard or room temp stuff? Right now, I have a cast iron/ceramic put I use on the stove to fry in lard with. But I want to get an electric fryer that I can use to fry in.

(đą«ÆĪ±ąø— Źą«ÆąŖ½Ę¬Ń³ąø—) #35

Iā€™ve seen it in Coles.

But I got the big tubs from York Foods website.

(Smita Patel) #36

Thanks! I will go in search of

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #37

I read the info that came with it and it didnā€™t say NOT to use lard or solid fatsā€¦

(Mark Myers) #38

That might be the one I want! What model is it?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #39

ALDI had a sale in August. $25. Ambiano
Target had a similar one. Same size and price.

Yea, but the ones with the submerged elements are so much better, control the temp better, heat more quickly, etc.

I think you should get the one with a high smoke point but not one of the ā€œpollysā€.

I think Peanut oil is considered on of the best. Of course, as long as no one has alergies. Other than that, Olive Oil, Avacado Oil should work as well.