Frying eggs in cast iron skillet - fail

(Lonnie Hedley) #41

Oil polymerization. It’s basically when oil changes structure causing it to become hard and nonstick.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

(Lonnie Hedley) #42

Took my pan camping a couple weekends ago.

Left it out in the rain. Woke up to a brown pan. Just wiped it out and tossed it on a cooking grate over the fire. Like nothing happened.

(Bunny) #43

That’s a mighty fine collection of iron you have der!

(Lonnie Hedley) #44

Just cook in it. Use metal utensils. Use lots of fat. It will season itself and become as nonstick as a Teflon pan after a while.

Also cook on medium low heat. Don’t use high heat. Ever.

(Lonnie Hedley) #45

Doubles as self defense equipment. :joy:

(Kirk) #46

Cool. I build some stuff, indoor and outdoor. I mainly build kayaks. Www.farback.ca

f

(TJ Borden) #47

That’s AWESOME. I’ve wanted to takle a canoe, but I don’t know if I have the patience. I struggle with builds that take more than a week or so.

(Kirk) #48

Thanks. I’ve built several kayaks. The wood strips do take some time. A canoe is next on my list.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #49

I’ve been trying to find wood working classes near me, to no avail. Not even the community college or the adult ed programs have them any more.

I took woodshop in middle school and loved it. I made a beautiful oak cabinet that turned out so nice my parents rufused to part with it when I moved out.

I’m dying to learn some more!

(Jo) #50

Do you have any woodcraft or rockler stores around? They offer classes. But I have never taken them (with the exception of a lathe class). Youtube is your friend. There is a lot of very good content out there about how to use tools, techniques, what tools to get etc.

(Lonnie Hedley) #51

My best friend actually.

I’m not even into that stuff (used to be on the water fishing a lot though) and that thing looks seriously high end! Wish I had a skill like that!

(Kirk) #53

Thanks. I’ve built boats for all my adult children and several of the grandkids. These will be a legacy when the next heart attack or one of my hobbies takes me out.

(TJ Borden) #54

Like @fiddlebanshee said. Woodcraft and Rockler offer classes. I think the quality of classes are better at woodcraft. Which is ironic because I used to teach pen turning at Rockler.

You can also see if there are any woodworking guilds in your area.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #55

No, nothing like that around me.
I got a small nail gun and a pocket jig last Christmas because I was dead set on building a ladder bookcase out of old barn wood, but now I’m too afraid to mess up the wood by not doing it right. I’ve watched several YouTube videos, but I’m still not confident.
I think I need to practice on scrap wood first.

(Jo) #56

Making a test piece, even if not of the whole thing but just some of the joinery techniques that you are planning to use is always a good idea. Focus on the areas that you are not confident about, and my experience with pocket hole joinery is that it is crucial to dial in the jig exactly to the width that you’ll be working with. When done with that it’s going to be plenty strong, especially if you also use glue.

I learned a lot about woodworking in general from the following youtube channels:
King’s Fine Woodworking
The Woodwhisperer
Steve Ramsey’s pocket hole jig video, his entire channel is worth watching.

Also, I learned to not be afraid to experiment, so yea, lots of failed attempts at various techniques using cheap wood, going back to watching youtube until I had it right. for me it’s the only way to learn.

(TJ Borden) #57

Never underestimate the power of a pocket hole jig. Some wood glue and a couple pocket screws are as good as a mortise and tenon 90% of time.

I agree with @fiddlebanshee again. Start with test pieces, then try making a smaller version of what you’re trying to build to practice layout and technique.

If you can get your hands on an old pallet, they make for good practice wood, especially if you’re going to be working with reclaimed barn wood (assuming it’s real, and not distressed new wood marketed as barn wood).

(LeeAnn Brooks) #58

Nope, it’s real barn wood from a barn on my in-laws property. Most of it’s too brittle and in bad shape. I went through a ton to get a decent stack. That’s why I’m so afraid to mess it up.

(Ivy) #59

helpful informative