Frying eggs in cast iron skillet - fail

(Jo) #1

Hey guys, I have finally decided to ditch the non-stick cookware and bought a lodge cast iron skillet. I used it this morning to make bacon and eggs. I used about a tablespoon avocado oil and three rashers of bacon. The eggs still stuck horribly. The bacon was fine and didn’t stick.

What is the secret of cooking (eggs) in cast iron? WIll this improve as the skillet gets conditioned? I just washed it and used it. I must say that afterwards clean up wasn’t as horrible as I imagined, and after I washed and dried I rubbed it with olive oil to condition it. Should I do something else? Use even more fat?

I did like the crispyness that resulted from the frying. Tasted way better than eggs from non-stick. Just a different mouth feel.

You cast iron gurus - enlighten me.

(La Marie) #2

Season Cast Iron with olive oil

When you get a cast iron skillet, before you cook a single thing in it, you begin the seasoning process. It’s actually super simple: give your skillet a wash with hot water and dry it completely. Rub a little bit of vegetable or olive oil into the surface of the pan and put it upside down in a 350 degree oven.:grin:

with olive oilcoconut oilwith canola oilwith flaxseed oilwith vegetable oilwith salt

(Jo) #3

Thanks, I suppose I can still do this right? How long should it stay in the oven?

(La Marie) #4

I edited my post with a link for you. lol I realized I didn’t give full info. :open_mouth:

(Brian) #5

FWIW… you can season a stainless steel frying pan, too. There are some YouTube videos out there that tell you how to do it. It’s a bit of a process but is somewhat similar to seasoning a cast iron pan. Check it out if you get bored… :wink:

(TJ Borden) #6

It takes time too. One round of seasoning won’t likely be enough. I use my pans all the time, so I keep it simple and season with lard since that’s what I keep on my counter, and because I try to avoid most seed oils, although technically flaxseed is tbe BEST non-stick oil (I know because I use it as a furniture finish… so that’s also something to think about. If it’s good for furniture it’s good for… food?)

Just be patient, and the wait will pay off. Get a cast iron scrapper (they’re cheap on Amazon), or a stainless steel mesh to clean it with when you need to. NEVER USE SOAP.

I know, all the instructions and effort might seem like it’s not worth it, but it is. My favorite lately is using it for pork belly. I get a good sear in the pan then just pop the whole thing in the oven. After it’s done cooking, I wipe it out with a paper towel, and hang it back up, ready for the next round.

(Michelle) #7

Yes.

(Jo) #8

Thanks guys, and gals! I guess this willl require changing habits and mindset. Wait…what? Just like changing to Keto :slight_smile:

Most difficult for me will be not scrubbing with soap but just wiping with kitchen towel. Does the fat that remains not get rancid after a while?

(Kerin ) #9

some folk also use a little salt. (scrubby).
It gets enough heat for that.
Soapy suds eventually help it seem awful and rusty and a waste. I know!

(Mike W.) #10

Unfortunately the new cast iron will never likely be as smooth as the old stuff. It’s just how they’re made. I found my egg pan at Salvation Army for about $5. Slick as a whistle after a few years of cooking. Even when I stripped it initially it was very smooth not all bumpy like the new Lodge stuff.

I recently used this method on a brand new Lodge pan, I liked her detailed explanation of why this works, and also Cooks Illustrated then tried it for themselves and validated that it’s the best method they’ve seen. I know other methods work too, as well as just using the pan over and over, but I’m impatient. :slight_smile: It turned out well for me!

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

(TJ Borden) #12

Soooo right. Mine are both lodge because I got into it without knowing. There are still some companies that make them old school with a supper smooth finish, but they’re pricey.

(Jo) #13

Anyone tried polishing/grinding the bumpy surface to make it smooth?

(back and doublin' down) #14

Estate sales. Thrift stores. And easily cleaned and re-seasoned. I’ve got a 20+ yr old skillet that looks like hell on the outside and smooth as silk on the inside. Like @Baytowvin TJ emphasized - no soap ever! If it sets too long, and then something gets really hard to scrape out, some rock salt and a rag with hot water will clean it right up.

FYI since starting keto and cooking more, I haven’t had to use rock salt.

One trick my mom passed down was that after scraping out and cleaning with hot water, I put it back on the stovetop with a little heat to evaporate any water in/on it to preserve the seasoned condition. If my oven is still hot, I’ll just put it in the cooling oven and store it there for a bit. It lives on my stove top, always ready.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Lodge and cheap cast iron will never be as good as the vintage stuff. Finex is arguably better, while several companies are making smooth cast iron cookware like they used to when they cared about the product more than the profit margin. They are all more expensive than lodge, tho.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

I did this six thin coats with flaxseed on my Field Skillet (polished smooth) and I maintain with with a Crisbee stick, and butter doesn’t even adhere enough to coat the pan. It’s more non-stick than nonstick.

I’ve never heard of Crisbee, just checked it out and I’m intrigued. What do you do to maintain? Just apply a little after wash/dry, or is there more?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #18

It is no problem that you used it before seasoning it. Mine has been kindly washed with soap by unknowing roommates and I’ve been able to reseason it just fine. Also, yes, old expensive ones are better and I probably would grow intolerant of my cheap one if I ever use an nice one… But cheap cast iron is good too! I got mine at ikea of all places. It’s perfectly fine.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

Rub it on like deodorant after cleaning, if the pan is still hot, just store. If not, reheat the pan, apply and store.

This is after scrubbing with chain mail and wiping clean.

This is my third cast iron pan. Getting a nice smooth one helps immensely, as does doing the six coats of flaxseed oil.

(Running from stupidity) #20

I need to take a photo of my Solidteknics pan family. They’re awesome (errr, and stupid expensive). Initial seasoning is indeed the key.