Frying eggs in cast iron skillet - fail

(Jane) #34

I have grandma’s cast iron stuff and also new. Have to do a lot is seasoning and cooking to get the new ones seasoned but they will eventually.

My husband bought a small all-metal skillet for omellettes and it was a bit spendy. Everything he cooked in it stuck like crazy and he gave up on it. I told him he should return it.

He got online and wasn’t seasoning it right. Once he did the shiny metal turned dark and shiny and omelettes slide right out. I’m not sure what he did to season it but it involved fat and heat. It never gets washed other than water, wiped down and coated with coconut oil.

Same with my cast iron cookware.

(TJ Borden) #35

That’s a nice table. I have the rockler lift, and it’s a game changer

(Jane) #36

Cool!

My husband built all the cabinets for our kitchen and 2 baths. Some turned out real nice … some are 3-footers (look pretty good from 3 feet away) :laughing:

(Jo) #37

Yes it certainly is. I have it set up so that it is the same height as my mitersaw station. That way I can use the fence on the mitersaw station as an extension of the routertable for longer stock. It works really well. I have never done any router work with this level of precision. I should have done this 5 years ago but I was too cheap, lol.

(Jo) #38

I can’t really justify spending $130 on one skillet. So I will make do with the lodge. I am still on the fence on the grinding/polishing. May just use it for a couple of months as is.

(Bunny) #39

You need more bacon grease or this non-hydrogenated stuff

Cooking with avacoda oil or any kind of vegetable plant oil is not a good thing in my opinion!

Love my cast iron skillet (well seasoned), never wash it, just wipe it clean! Makes me cringe to hear you washed it! Vegetable oils shall not touch thy cast iron surface!

(Bunny) #40

I am jealous

(Lonnie Hedley) #41

Oil polymerization. It’s basically when oil changes structure causing it to become hard and nonstick.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

(Lonnie Hedley) #42

Took my pan camping a couple weekends ago.

Left it out in the rain. Woke up to a brown pan. Just wiped it out and tossed it on a cooking grate over the fire. Like nothing happened.

(Bunny) #43

That’s a mighty fine collection of iron you have der!

(Lonnie Hedley) #44

Just cook in it. Use metal utensils. Use lots of fat. It will season itself and become as nonstick as a Teflon pan after a while.

Also cook on medium low heat. Don’t use high heat. Ever.

(Lonnie Hedley) #45

Doubles as self defense equipment. :joy:

(Kirk) #46

Cool. I build some stuff, indoor and outdoor. I mainly build kayaks. Www.farback.ca

f

(TJ Borden) #47

That’s AWESOME. I’ve wanted to takle a canoe, but I don’t know if I have the patience. I struggle with builds that take more than a week or so.

(Kirk) #48

Thanks. I’ve built several kayaks. The wood strips do take some time. A canoe is next on my list.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #49

I’ve been trying to find wood working classes near me, to no avail. Not even the community college or the adult ed programs have them any more.

I took woodshop in middle school and loved it. I made a beautiful oak cabinet that turned out so nice my parents rufused to part with it when I moved out.

I’m dying to learn some more!

(Jo) #50

Do you have any woodcraft or rockler stores around? They offer classes. But I have never taken them (with the exception of a lathe class). Youtube is your friend. There is a lot of very good content out there about how to use tools, techniques, what tools to get etc.

(Lonnie Hedley) #51

My best friend actually.

I’m not even into that stuff (used to be on the water fishing a lot though) and that thing looks seriously high end! Wish I had a skill like that!

(Kirk) #53

Thanks. I’ve built boats for all my adult children and several of the grandkids. These will be a legacy when the next heart attack or one of my hobbies takes me out.