Frustrated with vegetables

(James Willis) #1

If I try to eat one more stupid Spring Mix salad, I think I’m going to shoot myself in the head! Raw spinach, arugula, whatever that purpley leaf thing is… just ANYTHING that has that astringent mouthfeel … HULK RAGE just so much as thinking about it!!!
No worries, I will calm down soon enough! (being sick is causing general crankiness anyway) But for now, question is: what are your favorite ways of eating VERY low carb veggies? (in other words, not looking for an idea that sounds great but is going to gobble up over half of my daily 20 g carb limit–I’m finding it puzzling how many of the keto recipes out there have a carb count that just seems to be a lot in relation to this daily limit–another discussion for another time, I suppose) Yeah, I know… I’ll have some sauteed zucchini later, and I’ll check out more recipes online, but just thought I’d throw the question out there anyway, plus where else do I get the opportunity to rage against salad leaves?

(bulkbiker) #2

Check out the zero carb threads?

I make a lasagne with butternut squash sheets or courgette slices instead of pasta. I top it with full fat creme fraiche instead of bechamel sauce, swirl it with lots of pesto and add grated cheese and pine nuts. It’s SO amazing to eat and never stops ketosis or weight loss. In fact, I lose weight when I have it despite me having little portion control. I add lots of roasted vegetables in olive oil to my *mince too.

*ok, so don’t throw me out of the forum but I must confess, I actually use veggie mince. I don’t eat red meat and I hate bacon. :see_no_evil: I have to force myself to eat chicken because I really don’t like eating meat. I’m not a vegetarian; just a really poor meat eater!

(Edith) #4

What about cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, bell peppers, asparagus, cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, radishes? I am sure there are a lot more low carb veggies I can’t think of at the moment that aren’t greens.

Also, cooked greens are very versatile and can be quite delicious. Kale, chard, mustard greens, collard greens cooked with onion, bacon and a touch of vinegar is delicious. I also found a recipe for creamed spinach that uses curry paste and coconut milk. My husband thought it was the best creamed spinach he’d ever had.
I also saw a Wegmans recipe that makes creamed spinach using creamed cauliflower as the cream sauce.

There really are lots of veggie options out there. You’ll get there. I bet most of us started with just greens for the initial stage. :yum:

Edith

(Chris) #5

This, if you’re down for some adventure!

I use spinach with provided transport for my oils, (hemp/avocado/omega) and fatty dressings. 4 cups of spinach and 3 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of dressing = 500+ cals and 2 net carbs, 1x/day. Also avocado are awesome. 230g = 368 cals all fat and fiber, I have 2/day. I also eat macadamia nuts and hemp seed everyday. An ounce of each = 384 cals with 1.5g carbs the rest is fat! usually all my carbs are from these 4 things. also of note I use net carbs not total carbs. A few incidentals here and there. For me usually under 30g net carbs a day. Add in fiber and I’m pushing 50-60g probably

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Here’s a nice infograph on the carbs in veggies.

I love veggies, raw, cooked, you name it. Last night I had broccoli with cheese sauce on it.

(Charndra Pile) #9

I love vegetables. Yet, I have happily skipped them for a year now.

So, skip them for a month, or a week when you can’t face them! Far more vitamins and minerals in meats, more bioavailability too, and better for the planet than agriculture, who knew…

Add salt to the bitter vegetables with butter too. Make a cheese sauce, cream, melted in/ over heat, add cheese and stir off the heat. Delish and Keto.

(Joe Schuyler) #10

As others have said before, the Zero Carb threads are definitely a fun place. I love the WOE myself.

(John B) #11

I add bacon to most of our veggie dishes. We get fresh farm vegetables once a week, and we don’t know what’s in there until we pick it up. Spinach and kale are common, so we fry a little bacon up first, remove bacon and toss the veggies in the wonderful grease. Fry for a bit, add bacon back and dig in! Have also done cheese over broccoli, or roasted cauliflower with lots of butter!

I do not love spring mix either, especially arugula. Trader Joe’s used to have a spicy mix that I liked but they no longer have it in my area.

I prefer butter, red leaf and romaine in the real head, preferably organic. With my fasts these last longer, nothing worse than coming off an EF to find your lettuce in a bag gone bad

@VirginiaEdie I try to limit onions because they have more sugar than I can handle

(Nancy ) #13

Sautéed spinach with lots of butter, some garlic salt, lots of feta.

(BryanS) #14

for a long time I added spinach to eggs - scrambled or as an omelet - to get some veggies in my diet. I do wax and wane on salads. Eating raw cauliflower right now.

I like a slice of zero carb Provolone, a slice of ham, a fistful of spinach and roll it tight into a wrap! I also like to stuff spinach inside meatballs with cheese and cook them.

Creamed cauli for the top of shepherds/cottage pie and smothered with grated cheese! Just mash with cream and butter

(Paul Flickner) #16

I made roasted radishes for lunch today… OMGAWD !! Some ghee/butter, pick a seasoning (rosemary, Italian, or what every floats your taste buds), add some garlic, salt and pepper… 30-40 minutes @ 400 deg. turning them around 15 min… They sure did NOT taste like radishes… They taste like something between roasted cauliflower and roasted potatoes…

These are definitely in my rotation now… :slight_smile: Give then a try…

Respectfully,
Paul

I like casseroles. They’re tasty, easy to make, and there’s always enough leftover for another meal. The basic formula is meat + veggie + fat (ie. cream, cheese, avocado).

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #18

Pretty sure liver is a vegetable.

(Darlene Horsley) #19

I’m sort of feeling the same way about cauliflower and broccoli.

(James Willis) #20

thanks everyone for the responses. Not sure about being “zero carb” lol- do want to include as many veggies as I can and still be keto- but it’s worth a look for the recipes and general information