Frustrated with Chili's... Just a vent

(Jason Christianson) #1

Chili’s used to be one of my go-to places back when I was on Atkins years ago. So when we didn’t want to cook dinner tonight we thought it would be a safe bet.

I ordered steak fajitas like I always used to with lettuce instead of tortillas. Asked to sub the rice and beans for some vegetable. Was told that they can’t sub them but I could purchase separate sides for 6 bucks! When I decided to look at the menu for something different they decided to sub the sides for me. However, the fajitas were a miniscule portion. Massive plate of onions with just a few strips of steak. What’s worse though is that they evidently don’t have lettuce leaves anymore and and told me after bringing the meal out. SWMBO got the smoked chicken wings, but they had a really sweet glaze! Very disappointed that they didn’t disclose there was something in them. Anyway, spent $80 on dinner for us and the 2 kids and now we’re home making some food because we left very hungry and frustrated. Turns out Chili’s is no longer a good option if you are keto.

However, I put some smoked salmon in the food processor with cream cheese and we’re spreading it on bacon. Nom nom nom!

Went there for lunch recently, apparently they get all their lettuce pre shredded. The fajitas were ok but not as good as I remember when I ate there last summer. I think at that point they still had lettuce wraps. I forget what I had as a side. The weirdest part is unless you are a member of their club (free sign up) you cannot get free chips and salsa. I went with a non keto friend and she ended up signing up to get the free chips. Who ever heard of a mexican restaurant not giving free chips?!

There’s one in my area but I never go there. I went there once like 15 years ago and it wasn’t impressive from the little I remember.

(Jason Christianson) #4

Well, in this case, that’s probably a good thing. That way I don’t eat them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Excellent tip, thanks!!

Great timing! I hardly ever eat there because almost all their food includes lots of dairy which doesn’t agree with my stomach, but the other night we were out shopping, it was late, we were hungry, and there was a Chili’s right there.

I ordered a rib-eye steak and substituted the mashed potatoes for broccoli so I had a double-side of broccoli. The steak wasn’t great but it was edible, and when I asked for butter on the side for the broccoli, they accommodated.

Wasn’t a 5-star meal, but you get what you pay for and it was pretty keto safe.
Sue

(Brian) #7

I think there’s a Chili’s not too far away. We never go there. There are probably 3 or 4 Mexican restaurants that are way better and cheaper, too, not chains, but local people who are pretty good at what they do.

(Robert C) #8

Chili’s, Denny’s, Applebee’s,… all cater to SAD.

They ask for drink orders initially because a hit of sugar or alcohol causes people to order more food.
Always combining carbs in their plates keeps costs down, plate size up and helps increase dessert orders (ice cream is great after salty crunchy fries!).

They are a money-making operation and they are doing it well by getting people on SAD exactly what they want – no cooking, no dish washing and a (but temporary) feeling of being really full.

If you come in with keto in mind – no appetizers, no desert, just a small steak and broccoli with butter for dinner – you’re out of there at that single entrée cost. They don’t want that – not at all – too little money for the table time and unhappy wait staff due to a small tip (even at 15% or 20%).

(Jason Christianson) #9

Well, that’s always been us, lol. Even non keto, we usually didn’t drink nor do apps or dessert. So they’ll hate us anyway!

What does SAD mean?

(Robert C) #10

Standard American Diet

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

I have been considering myself a strict Baconist, but I think you just converted me! I don’t know what sort of heathenish practice you are espousing, but it sure sounds like a delicious one! :bacon: