Frustrated! HELP!

(Veronica Jones) #1

So, I started Keto on May 8th. Thought I would have seen a bigger difference by now. Not getting discouraged, just frustrated. I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am also lifting weights. So I don’t know if this is slowing the process, which i wouldn’t stop anyway just alter my eating. I really want this to work for me. Any suggestions welcome! Also, I ate relatively no carbs to begin with so this isn’t a huge adjustment for me but I think I may be doing it wrong!! LOL

(Ren) #2

If you give a little bit more information I’m sure others can help you along.

Do you know what your macro’s should be?
What is your typical eating day?
How much weight have you lost or gained if any?
What exactly is frustrating you? Not big enough weight loss?
How does your body feel?

(Veronica Jones) #3

Okay so I have lost appx 7lbs. In a typical day I will eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, coffee with 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream and 1 splenda packet. Lunch: starkist selects yellow fin tuna in extra virgin olive oil and if i am feeling adventurous I will add dill relish or a packet of mayo. Dinner consists of some kind of protein like bacon and eggs or meatloaf or something of the sort. Now as you can see not a lot of veggie I am trying to stay under 20g of carbs. I have done my macros several times not really buying that. I have gotten 155g carbs 155g protein 35g fat. So that doesn’t sound right to me. I guess I am just wanting to see changes faster. I can’t seem to get rid of what seems like belly bloat. Sorry TMI. Thank You! :smile:

(Jessica) #4

Starting weight and goal weight?

7 pounds in a little over two weeks is great! If you were already almost no carb you won’t have experienced the initial large water weight drop that is typical of those starting keto.

Is lifting weights new for you? If so, your muscles may retain water to heal at first.

I think you’re doing amazing! And keto is much much more than loss of scale weight.

(Dustin Cade) #5

in the first few weeks your body is going to making a lot of changes when you switch to the Keto WOE… I would not worry about the scale, I would not even worry about working out, if you want to work out that is up to you, though it’s not a requirement… just focus on staying under on carbs, getting enough fat and watching your protein, and relax… this takes some time…

(Veronica Jones) #6

Well not really new to lifting just haven’t done it in almost 5 years so that could be the issue. Thanks for the encouraging words. I have in total lost 135lbs in over 5 years. I just became inactive in the last 4 years and put 30lbs back on. I am wanting to incorporate more weight lifting to tighten everything. Trying to avoid any kind of cosmetic surgery. Again thank you! Also my starting weight was 157 and I am now 150

(Veronica Jones) #7

Thank you! My goal is to tone more so than seeing the scale drop. :grinning:

(KetoCowboy) #8

On one of the 2 Keto Dudes podcasts, I remember @Brenda (among others) discussing the fact that men usually lose a lot of weight in their first month on keto and then slow down whereas women usually get off to a slow start and catch up to the men in the second month (in terms of weight loss at least). IIRC, this was in the context of menvy and the hormonal complications that women experience with any weight loss program.

I’m just one male, but my experience conforms to that discussion. I lost a lot more weight in the first month than the second. Here’s hoping things speed up for you as you KCKO.

(Ren) #9

The macro’s that you listed are definitely wrong. Go to https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to find out what your macros are.

Your carbs should be set to 20-25g, your protein will typically about .8-1.2g of protein per lean body mass, then fat till satiety.

Also 7lbs in 2 weeks is a good rate of weight loss. It is probably water weight that you are losing. What you will find is your body is going through a change when starting keto. You are going from using glucose as your main source of fuel to fat as your main source of fuel. It takes time for your body to become adjusted to the new diet, and plateaus will happen.

Carbs aren’t completely evil also. Add more vegetables to your diet, but keep the carbs low. The carb limit isn’t 20g total. It is 20g NET carbs (total carbs - fiber = net carbs) So eating leafy green vegetables, peppers, and other veggies isn’t a bad thing on Keto. Your body requires the nutrients that are in the veggies to keep you healthy.

To give you an idea of macros for a person. I’m a 39y male weighing in at 190lbs with a sedintary lifestyle. My macros are 20g Net Carbs, 76g of protein, and 130g of fat. Over the course of the day, I make sure to not reach the limit of 20g net carbs. I try to hit the 76g of protein, and if I hit the limit of 130g of fat cool, if not no biggie my body will burn through fat my body has.

(Veronica Jones) #10

I completely agree that hormones have a lot to do with female weight loss. This is why I have resorted to Keto cause everything else just shy of starving doesn’t work. I have seen better results with this than anything else. I guess I am just getting impatient! LOL :joy:

(Veronica Jones) #11

Thank you for the link. I didn’t think that was right cause I mean what is the point of Keto right? I have been using fitness pal app as kind of a tracker not really paying attention to their set guideline but keto guidelines and it helps me track the grams of everything i eat.
This is one of my daily totals. And that was eating almost all day. However I do not eat after 7PM.

(Ren) #12

My Fitness Pal has a default setting of the Low Fat high carb diet. You can change your goals for your macros by percentage. Go to “Goals” and change your daily nutrition goals via percentage (if you buy the upgrade you can do it by grams) I set mine up as 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat, 1550 calories (i don’t pay attention to the calories part, I just pay attention to the macros)

After that I went to “settings” -> “diary settings” and changed my tracked nutrients to Fat, Protein, Carbs, Fiber. This way I get a quick look at my macros. I will subtract my total carbs from total fiber to get my NET Carb count.

(Veronica Jones) #13

I went to the link you gave me and this was my results

1030 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
25 g Carbs (10%, 100 kcal)
75 g Protein (29%, 300 kcal)
70 g Fat (61%, 630 kcal)

(Ren) #14

That isn’t a lot of calories to eat in a day. How big of a deficit do you have built in? If you want to be able to sustain and have success switching to keto, you want to make sure you have reasonable daily goals.

(Veronica Jones) #15

Honestly, I am lucky to get down 980 calories in a day. My body is used to eating around 1000 calories a day. I will be force feeding myself to eat more. I am not feeling deprived at all. I do get the occasional craving for something sweet but no more than normal. I am not a big sweet eater.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #16

Absolutely. This is very common. More important to watch the fit of your clothes and other positive changes in health in the beginning. Hormones interfere with weight loss in women. Our body needs time to adjust.

(Ren) #17

If you believe that 1030kcals are enough for your body to stay healthy then go for it. The macros look fine. If you find yourself hungry during the course of your day, increase your fat intake (this is the fat till satiety).

Like @Brenda said, your body needs time to adjust to this big change in the way you are fueling your body.

(Veronica Jones) #18

Thank you for all of your help! It is much appreciated. :sunglasses:

(eat more) #19

there will be a lot of healing to “correct” this so fat loss will come more slowly as the body heals imbalances…more so for us women with all of our additional hormones floating around and chronic calorie restriction (generally speaking)
the body is super smart and gets used to only needing what you give it…give it less and it holds on to more…just in case. give it more and it gets used to using more. :slight_smile:

just to be clear…it isn’t about calories but it is about giving your body enough to feel safe and do all the things it’s designed to do…especially if you are active.
20g carbs
1-1.5g protein per kg LBM
“the rest” fat

(Veronica Jones) #20

Thanks Mikki. I just adjusted my fitness pal to accommodate my macros. So i think this will help me a lot! :grin: