Fruit=hungry and tired: how to get health benefits of fruit but not eat it

(Marisa Huffman) #1

So berries give me terrible ravenously hungry feelings after I eat them. But I want to be all around healthy. I know my body needs fruit but while doing Keto I just don’t think I can handle the cravings for other food I get immediately after eating them and how tired I feel. How can I get the health benefits of fruit without eating fruit?

Doctor who recommended Keto says it isn't great as a long term diet
(bulkbiker) #2

Really it doesn’t.

(Chris) #3

What health benefits?

And if you feel you need them, stick to small amounts of low sugar fruits. If consuming fruit is causing your hunger to spiral out of control, there is no health benefit

(Ron) #4

What makes you think this?

There has never been a RCT that proved we improve health outcomes eating fruit

(KetoQ) #5

My suggestion is incorporate a little fruit in a salad with a high fat dressing. I often add a few blackberries or cut up half a peach to throw in a salad. Strawberries are rather low in carbs, and I often include them in a plate with some brie or gouda.

Try to be more creative in your food choices and combinations so you can include a small amount of fruit, but not make it the focus.

Unless fruit is a trigger food for you, then you have to stay away from it. Or maybe drizzle a little olive oil on your fruit. It’s okay to try something a little unconventional.

(Marisa Huffman) #6

honestly… I just thought that we did need it for a rounded vitamin and mineral intake?

(Marisa Huffman) #7

I did not know that

(Ron) #8

This is because we have all been misguided for so many years by suggested guidelines that have finally been proven wrong.:smirk:

(Wendy) #9

I do really enjoy fruit though. I usually have a few berries in my full fat Greek yogurt. The other day I even had a few small cubes of watermelon with it. If it’s not a trigger I think it’s fine to eat within your macros.
If you’re worried about missing out on nutrition you might be surprised how much meat has in it. ( I do take a few vitamins besides and I eat veggies and greens.)

(Marisa Huffman) #10

What vitamins do you take?

(KetoQ) #11

The problem with watermelon, high on the glycemic index, might spike your insulin.

Here’s a good link to fruits you may want to incorporate in your eating plan:

(bulkbiker) #12

Yep completely unnecessary… who would thought it eh?

(Raj Seth) #13

Fruits and vegetables made it to the US recommended diet because of a powerful fruit & vegetable growers lobby in McGoverns office. No science behind that recommendation.

Why would a toddler eschew vegetables ? He has no learned dislike for them. Find me a toddler who doesn’t like gnawing on a hotdog!! It’s cause we need the meat protein and fat, and not the carbs from the vegetables

(Sarah Bruhn) #14

Raspberries and blackberries are aroung 5g of carb per 100g, strawberries 7g and blueberries are 12g per 100g… if you want fruit choose raspberries and blackerries

(Edith) #15

There are vegetables that have the same vitamins as fruit. Bell peppers are rich in vitamin. C. Avocados actually have vitamin c and lots of potassium. I bet you can find plenty of vegetables that have the same vitamins plus more than any fruit for a lot less carbs.

(Wendy) #16

I know. I usually do those but I had about 2 or 3 1 inch pieces of watermelon. I cheated but hey think what I could have eaten. :roll_eyes:

(Sarah Bruhn) #17

lol truth, it happens

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

If you eat a completely plant-free diet (people on these forums call it ZC—zero carb—or carnivore), your need for vitamin C drops enormously. Also, there are certain B vitamins that you can get only in meat. It’s worth remembering that the minimum daily requirement of carbohydrate, including fruit, is zero grams.

(Mark) #19

Avocados are the perfect fruit,good healthy fat,great with eggs

(Alec) #20

If there is ONE thing that I wish I could eat more of on keto it is fruit. I loved (and love) fruit. I was a fruitaholic in the old days, I would eat 5-8 serves a day. I would think nothing of eating 3 oranges, 2 cups grapes, cup blueberries, and half a large watermelon every day.

Can we please change the keto rules to except fruit from the rules. Boy, that would make me happy! :laughing::laughing: