Fruit=hungry and tired: how to get health benefits of fruit but not eat it

(Edith) #21

Understood, @PaulL, but I was just responding to the original question.

I also understand that we don’t need carbohydrate but we do have essential nutrients, particularly vitamin C that are much easier to get through fruit or vegetables than just eating meat.

Below is the link to a little article about how the Inuit got their vitamin C and other nutrients through eating organ meat and raw meat and fish. Many people don’t like offal (me being one of them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and probably aren’t going to eat their meat and fish raw. Veggies are a way to get those vitamins that the meat we buy from the grocery store doesn’t supply.

And yes, there are always supplements. I have to admit, I feel like I have to supplement so much for my electrolytes, it I can get other nutrients through food, I prefer that.:green_salad:

(David) #22

It turns out we don’t need very much C vitamin and antioxidants on Keto. I don’t remember the science, but Keto dudes go through it in on of the podcasts. Fruits were very seasonal for millions of years, it is practically a bag of sugar water. I never eat fruits and berries (I do eat low carb vegetables everyday), and I do not lack C-vitamins or anything else.

(Marisa Huffman) #23

I don’t know if it helps with electrolytes but Google if you haven’t heard of it salt sole.

(Marisa Huffman) #24

Ty dave

(Marisa Huffman) #25

I agree, great with eggs

I hear you Marisa … its the same for me. I feel hungrier when i have a few berries.

Thank you all … I think what I’m hearing is that a lot of the nutrients can be got from vegetables. I must admit that I don’t make the recommended 6 cups a day target for them and rely more on eggs and fat and proteins with some veggies thrown in. Still getting used to this and feel like a newbie. Although 2 months in and I already feel like I never ever want to go back to carbage ever again.
Plus all this free time with no ‘three meals a day’ left to cook is in itself such a huge advantage !

(Ron) #28

This might help.

If by chance you really happen to cheat and eat some fruit (I have thought of that too, as I like fruit a lot, it feels like blasphemy to go through a whole summer and not eat any…) I would suggest to take some fibers, like psyllium husks or chia seeds, the latter have also plenty of omega 3’s. The fibers buffer the sugar content, to some extent.

(Terence Dean) #30

I still eat fruit when I want to, like you I don’t eat as much as I’d like to especially while I’m on Keto but as soon as I reach maintenance it will become a regular food item for me, regardless of whether it kicks me out of Ketosis. I didn’t eat fruit on a daily basis as you did but I see no reason to go without fruit for the rest of my life.

(Bunny) #31

I think it has more to with availability of bad food; very abundant in our modern world?

It’s not the veggies, it’s not the fruit, it’s not the meat (four legged livestock, fish, poultry, eggs), it’s not the fat!

It’s the 1. refined-carbohydrates or non-refined-carbohydrates (eating to much of it?) and 2. refined sugars and even natural sugars (eating to much of it?) or anything that has been processed with something or not used when it’s fresh?

If we really look at a vegan, ketogenic or carnivore diet, low-fat or high fat or any dietary methods, what do all centurians who experience longevity not eat?

It does not matter (it really does not) what method is chosen, the body will adapt to it, eliminating those two enigmas above are what extend the life-span and prevent most disease caused by those two factors, perhaps autophagy makes it (longevity) even better?

Blaming natural organic veggies and fruits or natural organic starches from plants for our WOE’s is like saying “I am going to cut off my arms and legs” and most people will do exactly that because they are not thinking? That said, your going to get the same nutritional density from plants, vegetation and forage by eating four legged animals, poultry, eggs or marine-life from eating their flesh and where is it coming from? Plants, forage, plankton, alga, kelp and vegetation; so whether it goes through you or them, it really does not matter?

Not getting enough vitamins, minerals and rare trace elements from natural organic sources within the amount of substance we put (nutritional density) in our body constantly…then add highly refined and processed foods especially sugars[1] and grains not used within 48 hours[1] of being milled to that type of dietary deprivation and what do you get? FAT (eventually) around the internal organs, inside the internal organs and skeletal muscle tissue as well as calcified organ tissue and calcified arteries etc…

Footnotes:

[1] …imagine the dysbiosis of the gut flora biome that is being created (fermenting and culturing or out-of-place-bacteria?) in the gut by that alone along with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and causing all kinds of autoimmunity, fatty liver (visceral fat) and obesity problems etc?

(Chris) #32

Meat.

(Leigh Thomas) #33

The only fruit you can have on keto is avocado and blueberries. Vegetables have all the nutrition you need without the sugar.

(Lonnie Hedley) #34

Doesn’t seem vitamin C is as important as some might suggest.

(Chris) #35

If it was, I would have had scurvy for the last year.

(Ron) #36

Not really true. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and huckleberries are all acceptable fruits in moderation on keto.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #37

I’m avoiding fruit to lower my triglycerides.

(Lonnie Hedley) #38

Of which, blackberries have the lowest carb count so if I splurge on a berry, it’s gotta be black. :grin:

(karen) #39

Part of the issue is that ketosis changes your body chemistry. I have heard it said that BHB (a ketone, for all intents and purposes) is a powerful antioxidant that can mitigate or even eliminate the need for the antioxidants we might ordinarily get from plant sources including fruit. The thing is, as far as I know no one has truly studied the micronutrient needs of people who are fat adapted / in ketosis / ‘whole-animal’ eaters. So when we follow the RDA guidelines (which seem to be wrong half the time anyway), it doesn’t necessarily address our needs as ketoans at all.

Edited: thank you, @PaulL, who pointed out below that bhb isn’t actually an antioxidant, but has a positive effect on the body’s own anti-oxidant capacity.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

Forgive me, Karen, you’re close but not quite on the money. What β-hydroxybutyrate does is to turn off genes that silence the body’s inbuilt anti-oxidant defenses, genes that are turned on in the presence of a high level of insulin, which makes the consumption of anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C necessary. So it’s not an anti-oxidant itself, but is rather a hormone that manipulates genes to turn on the body’s inbuilt anti-oxidation mechanisms. This is why Dread hasn’t come down with scurvy, despite the fact that by eating zc/carnivore he is consuming no Vitamin C; his body can deal with the reactive oxygen species it produces without exogenous help.