Fructose: how much if any?

science

(Marius the butter craving dude) #1

As I understand fructose dose not have an insulin response; this is why it is prescribed to diabetics as a sugar replacer. Yet I know fructose is bad.
There is this milk and egg energy bar for gym that I like. The carb part of it is from fructose. Since fructose dose not trigger insulin is it safe in small quantities ?

(MooBoom) #2

You’d have to test your personal response to know. Do you have a blood meter?

(Omar) #3

I do not take any fructose.

but rarely I take the equivalent of half orange.

I think when people talk about the fructose being harmful and cause NAFL,they are mainly talking about OVERLOADING the liver with fruit juice for long times.

if you stay within the keto limit, of carbs, I do not see an issue.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

The title leads you to believe you’ll get a bunch of information on why Fructose is so dangerous, but in the end (literally the last two paragraphs) this is what is said.

Fructose, which neither raises blood glucose nor insulin was considered more benign than other sweeteners for many years. An all-natural sweetener found in fruit that didn’t raise the Glycemic Index sure sounded healthy. But it had a hidden dark side, one that was not obvious for many decades.

The toxicity of fructose could not be seen by looking at the blood sugars, only by looking at the slow accumulation of fat in the liver. The key was the fatty liver.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #5

Yes I know about NAFL, my father eat 10 apples a day and 10 oranges and has fatty liver. I also know that keto and EF is very good at getting rid of fat from the liver.
Hmmm… I will keto on and stay away from that energy bar, or have it once per week.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Yeah, I’ve been tempted to look at the bars too, for convenience, but I’m afraid that one day I’ll look down and see that I’m having three bars for dinner and can’t remember the last time I ate real, whole food. It’s just so easy!

(Britt) #7

I’m confused. This is the same “fructose” as is found in fruit? I thought that’s why you’re supposed to stay away from fruit on low carb since it produces an insulin response. I cut out my berries (for now) due to the BG increase after eating them. Maybe this varies from person to person.

(Chris) #8

For targeted ketogenic diets about 15g fructose and glucose (each) combined with sodium is best for hard workouts.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #9

So one bar before workout.

(Chris) #10

Can you give the name of the bar or a link to the site of the manufacturer?

(Chris) #11

Folks do need to take into account that not everyone here is metabolically screwed or diabetic, and teeny amounts of some things CAN be helpful in certain contexts.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #12

(Chris) #13

This thing is garbage, my friend. I’m not telling you what to do, but I wouldn’t touch this thing with a 10-foot stick.

contains: maltitol syrup, corn flakes, protein concentrate from whey (11,79%), calcium caseinate (11,79%) (contains lactose), palm oil, flax seeds, roasted peanuts, malt extract syrup (contains gluten), fructose, protein concentrate from egg albumin (2,62%), cocoa powder, alimentary flavour (chocolate). It may contain soy.

Afaik fructose works similiar way as alcohol does in the liver by stopping ketone production until its burnt, a banana can give a boost for workout but id rather stick to pre-workouts.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #15

I could do something similar at home…
Get some egg, some milk and some cocoa and mix them together and drink it…
I found this:

Only problem is I do not have a blender :))

(bulkbiker) #16

But possibly not fructose …ever…?

(Karim Wassef) #17

Fructose is especially bad because it can only be metabolized by the liver and converted into liver glycogen. This is the third backup energy source after blood glucose and muscle glycogen, but before fat stores.

On a SAD diet, this is never tapped into unless there’s strenuous exertion with no food intake (athletes, etc…).

On a Keto diet, it becomes an intermediate source before the body is willing to get into fat reserves… if there’s liver glycogen, there’s no need for ketones or fat breakdown.

So if you don’t use it (not an athlete and eating SAD), it builds up until full - then the liver starts conversing it into fatty liver… all that fructose cannot go anywhere else… so unless you’re very athletic, eating apples continuously is probably going to cause disease…

If you’re on Keto and you’re depleting liver glycogen and you’ve reduced your fatty liver and are healthy again, then the effect of fructose is in delaying the fat burning process and denying you the benefits of ketones. That’s a personal choice or how much delay you’re ok with…

For athletes who do Keto, it’s potentially a useful tool for delivering explosive performance… that’s probably the one subgroup who can benefit.

Satiety is the other issue. I personally find that fructose illicits a powerful (if not insulin driven) hunger response. This usually cascades to excess carbs, protein and fat… so it indirectly causes me to overeat again.

Bad habits come back 7x stronger… fructose … hunger… overeating protein… more hunger… eating fat… & there I am at 7000 calories because of some berries.

If I intake fructose, it must serve a purpose like helping me lift harder or longer. Otherwise, it’s either retarding my progress or causing harm.

(Scott) #18

I am really confused now. I thought High Fructose Corn Syrup was the evil stuff they put in soft drinks and such and would spike insulin. Is Fructose completely different?

(Windmill Tilter) #19

Fructose causes insulin resistance. There are very few worse things you can eat. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anything worse actually.

https://idmprogram.com/fructose-causes-insulin-resistance-hormonal-obesity-xxxii/

The only time I’ve heard of it being useful is in instances where fat is being lost too quickly. Fructose helps to slow down fat loss because it short ciruits satiety signals and reduces the body’s ability to access body fat. If you are a very lean individual, and are concerned that you are still losing additional fat or lean mass, fructose is a potent stall inducer. A little goes a long way.

(Scott) #20

This is the comment that had me scratching my head.