From 300lbs to ketosis

(Gavin) #1

Hello folks!
I’ve decided to make a log to document my progress.

Due to some dark mental places, I found myself hitting 300lbs (5ft 10) with a lot of stretch marks sprinkled on top. As you can imagine…this sucked!

While my stretch marks remain, my weight has not!
I’ve been officially on a ketosis diet now about 11-12 weeks (I think), but about 4 weeks prior to it, when I was down to 275, I started to dabble with 24hr fasts (maybe once a week…).

Anyway…
For the last few weeks I have been intermittent fasting and loving how easy it is!
To me the keto diet is amazing, and the keto diets combined with intermittent fasting is the equivalent to winning the lotto! I am not exaggerating!

Most days I will only eat one meal of about 700 calories (5-7pm) but some days I will drink some MCT powder (100kcals) in my coffee in the morning, and MAYBE a small bit of cream. I dont have a hard and fast rule apart from keeping my carbs extremely low and my fats higher than my protein. Sometimes i’m proper intermittent fasting and other times I am taking a good multi vit and super strength omega capsule x 3 per day, along with the MCT powder.

About 3 weeks ago I went to the cinema and had a large popcorn and those cheese nachos. On the way home I had a burger and chips. It was insanely tasty (not the nachos though)! I checked my ketones 2 days later and I was in ketosis, so I decided that I would allow myself to carb up once a month or so. Needless to say I went to the cinema again last night and had a large popcorn and afterward had a burger and chips :slight_smile:

Checked my blood ketones about 24hours later and it’s 1.2… which is awesome! I knew I was going to have these the day before, so apart from my black coffee with MCT, multi vit and omega capsule in the morning, I ate nothing else to counter what I was going to eat later. Also, I didnt want to have any fats in my stomach when I spiked my insulin.

I checked my weight about 2 weeks ago and I was down to 253lbs, but I reckon i’m closer to 249 now.

Not sure how often I will update this, but I’ll drop in from time to time with updates and answer any questions that anyone may have.

Peace out!

(melinda) #2

Congrats! That’s great! Make sure you listen to the “switching it up” episode of 2 keto dudes with Megan Ramos. I think you’ll like what she has to say

(Gavin) #3

If I get time I will listen to it. Thanks for the heads up!

I do watch the Thomas De Lauer videos on youtube though and he has given me some solid info backed with science. I assume what is meant by switching it up is so that my body doesnt get used to it and subsequently my progress stalls?

I have been aware of this for a while now and that’s part of the reason I sometimes propper IM and other times I use the aforementioned supplements (and now carbing up once every 3-4 weeks).

Do you reckon that is switching it up enough?
For example, this past 7 days I have been snacking on peanuts maybe 2 or 3 days… but thats just for the sake of shaking things up. I wont be doing it after this current bag of nuts is gone.

(Gavin) #4

OH!
I forgot to add that I have a keto cheat once a week!
I eat about 10 chicken wings and spare ribs with no sauce from the chinese. I add my own fatty sauce for those. So really, once a week I consume elevated amounts of calories…

(melinda) #5

Good idea. Yeah, some of what she has to say is to feast sometimes to keep your metabolism up.

(Gavin) #6

Hello folks!

What sort of blood glucose levels am I looking for in regards to ketosis and being fat adapted?!

I checked my glucose for the first time this morning after having some carbs last night when meeting up with friends.

(Ken) #7

Good job. Feel free to eat some carbs on the Weekends. Just don’t go crazy with it and try to eat a week’s worth of carbs.

(Gavin) #8

Hello my friend.
Once I understand my state of fat adaptation better then I’ll allow myself to eat carbs a little more often.

I’ve attached a picture of my glucose levels from the morning after eating carbs, bit I don’t know how to understand it.

Your glucose is mildly elevated. But one reading really isn’t going to tell you much. Seeing how high it went an hour or two after eating carbs would tell you much more.

(Gavin) #10

Hello :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input. I’ll keep that in mind next time I eat carbs.

I don’t think I’ll bother buying more keto strips as it’s kinda pointless ( and stupidly expensive) now at this stage now that I know what food puts me at what level after x-period of time eating like that.

Plus, it’s more about getting more fat adapted for me than how many ketones I have flowing around. My weight is clearly dropping at a fantastic rate with this one meal per day diet/ Intermittent Fasting that I largely follow. Fat adapted is key!

I’ll go and weigh myself today and get my BMI/BF metrics. I’ll update when I do

(Gavin) #11

I’ve just had the cheat meal to end all cheat meals…

I walked into work this morning at 11am and one of the customers had brought me in a bacon and egg sandwich (white bread). Since I hadn’t had a cheat meal this week, and since it was a nice gesture, I ate it.

Then about an hour and a half ago (9:15pm) I went to McDonald’s and really went for it! I had a large big Mac meal (burger and chip), some cheese bites and a chicken legend sandwich (no chips). Then I decided to go really crazy about a half hour ago and got a flake mcflurry :slight_smile:

I thoroughly enjoyed it and don’t feel guilty at All! I am however dealing with so much bloat haha. I also bet I’ll be blowing from the bottom end all day tomorrow :slight_smile:

Ive just checked my blood glucose levels to see how high it spikes after all that.

Whatever about the meal… but I’ve not had sugary stuff like a mcflurry in about 3 months or so.

What do you more knowledgeable folk think about this blood reading an hour and a half after the meal and about 45mins after the mcflurry?

Should I check it again in an hour?

(Gavin) #12

An hour and a bit after the last test… which like… 2.5hrs after the meal and 2hrs after the mcflurry

Can someone please help me interpret this.
Thanks

(Gavin) #13

And then another hr later (3hrs 45mins after eating)

(Gavin) #14

Here is the reading 14hrs afterward

(Gavin) #15

Just bumping this in the hopes someone who knows how to read these can tell me if this is a normal blood response.

(Gavin) #16

Finally got around to checking my metrics.
To say I am surprised is an understatement!

Since my last check on the 5th of June (28 days ago) I have dropped exactly 1 stone (14lbs)!

My body fat was 30.6% and is now 27.2%.

BMI was 35.7 and is now 33.4!
I grew too apparently :slight_smile:
I joke… my hair was standing up from the cycle :wink:

(Gavin) #17

Quick update.

Been at maintenance for the last few weeks… just having some cheats at the weekend and then strict during the week. All in all I’m around the same weight.

I move into my new place in 5 days, so will be back to eating clean/keto again when I can get some shopping done. The place i’m in now is weird… I dont even buy food for the cupboards/fridge really. All I want to do is get out of here asap in the mornings and then I go to my room when I get home at night. All the eating out is burning a hole in my wallet :slight_smile:

I’ll update again once I get some shopping into the new place and get back to keto and OMAD dieting.

(Gavin) #18

UPDATE:
Not currently in keto and I’m bouncing between 238-246lbsn (down nearly 60lbs).
It largely consists of me eating keto for a few weeks and then having a few days of eating more liberally.

I’m still happy i’ve lost a lot of weight, but i’m getting used to this now and it’s time to aim for 200lbs. I can take it from there then on whether to keep going, or to maintain for a while.

I still feel keto is an absolute gem that we have all found. I now dont have to deal with the overpowering cravings that I used to get during all carb tainted attempts. I just go keto and then 4-5 days later, i’m used to running on fat again. Then do an intermittent fast every now and then.

Typically for me it’s a 20/4 or OMAD.
Both of which are easy when I get the carbs out of my system.