Fresh natto. Do you partake?

(Carol E. ) #1

I came across an interesting post on the topic of natto. I understand it has many health benefits but alas I have yet to partake of the microbial party offered by natto. Is this unattractive, odoriferous super food a part of your keto diet? Do tell!

(Tom Seest) #2

I don’t eat it fresh, but I do take it in pill form for it’s ability to get rid of blood clots.

(Carol E. ) #3

Very love or hate food it seems. Reported to have a pungent smell, tastes earthy/rooty and admonishments to not stir it else the texture becomes stringier.

Found some interesting information in the comments in this
article: Are You Ready To Eat Your Natto

If I pull the trigger I will report my findings :sunglasses:

not in a million years

(Jay AM) #5

Way too many carbs for me and, I’m still not sure about phytoestrogens and can’t trust soy in general. They tout a lot of benefits but I couldn’t find any tests on nutrient availability or any nutrients I couldn’t get with better foods.

I’ve been making my own natto for about 2 years now. Mine is very stringy (neba neba), the odor reminds me of coffee and the taste is akin to sunflower seeds. I learned from reading Natto Dad posts online, trial and error, and keeping the process as close to identical for each batch as I possibly can. I eat approximately 23 grams daily, so I don’t have to take Eliquis for blood thinning, nor aspirin (I’ve cleared this with my hematologist, not just experimenting) and to keep blood clots away from me. That amount yields about 4 grams of carbohydrate. The bacteria eats up the sugars. Supposedly it moves calcium from where it should not be (arteries) and puts it where it needs to be (bones). I don’t know about the science, and there probably should be more studies done about it, but I was informed that the extract version of nattokinase is often different from manufacturer to manufacturer, as well as from batch to batch. Therefore, I learned how to make my own. I purchase Laura’s Soybeans (non GMO), use a pressure cooker and natto from product I purchased at the Asian Market. I try to determine which brand is the “strongest” since there is a trend to play down the stringyness of natto for more popular consumption. My cardio calcium score is all zeros. Coincidence or because of natto, I have no idea. My husband can’t stand to be in the same room with me when I eat it, because it’s a definite NO in his palate book. LOL! So, its either a love/hate response. If you haven’t tried it, I’d suggest purchasing a 3 or 4 pack from the Asian Market, ($3.00) and trying it with other food. Good with eggs, disappears into salads and most other foods. If you Love it, yay. If you hate it, it’s only $3.00!

That I would imagine is the Vitamin K2. I think the MK7 form is made from Natto. Note I have no medical training so obviously check with your doctor before adding or subtracting anything

(Carol E. ) #8

I appreciate your response. Kudos to you for your tenacity and commitment to your health. It’s impressive and fascinating that you make your own. Well done!

(Bob Jones) #9

Just starting Keto. After living in Japan for 18 years I love Natto! My father had a triple bypass at 42 and a quadruple at 52. So glad I can find it now in the States. It would be awesome to make my own though!

(Bob M) #10

I used to eat Natto, when I was trying resistant starch and probiotics. I personally did not find it objectionable. I used to order it by the case and freeze it:

https://rhapsodynaturalfoods.com/our-products/organic-non-gmo-natto/

After experimenting for about half a year with resistant starch and probiotics, I could find no benefit to these, only detriments. So, I decided to stop and see what would happen. I fee better now than then, and I have yet to go back to eating this.

(Bob M) #11

I am circling back to this, after reading Mark’s Daily Apple:

When I was testing pre-biotics and pro-biotics, I was eating a ton of stuff, including resistant starch. Consequently, natto was only one part of that.

I may go back to eating Natto periodically, as I can get it from Vermont (I live in Connecticut), and I can freeze it.

It’s also by far the food with the highest vitamin K2. And I personally didn’t mind it, if I ate it as whole beans with real, fermented (no wheat) soy sauce.

The software is giving me a warning that I should not revive this old thread. However, I don’t want to start a new thread. I just wanted to comment that I might have changed my mind.