Freezing cold while extended fasting - my remedies

(Windmill Tilter) #21

That’s awesome. Let us know how you make out!

(Karim Wassef) #22

Has anyone tried any of these techniques? Any other n=1 experiences? :slight_smile:

(Windmill Tilter) #23

I tried Niacin (B3). I took about 500mg prior to hopping a sauna for 25 mins. I could definitely feel the niacin “flush” and my face definitely took on a rosy hue. I definitely felt warmer for hours afterwards, but hard to know if that was the sauna or not. I read on the label that B3 wasn’t supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, so I stopped taking it, but I’ll try it the next time I get cold during a fast to see what happens.

(Karim Wassef) #24

I did take a cod liver oil supplement with it. It’s basically an oil pill but it still falls under my definition of fasting.

(Windmill Tilter) #25

That seems like it would work. I’ve got a bottle of it somewhere in the medicine cabinets. :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #26

Fish oils don’t “age” well… :smiley:
I’d get a new one.

(Windmill Tilter) #27

:+1:

(Karim Wassef) #28

has anyone tried Wim Hof Breathing?

(Todd Allen) #29

I do it, though not for fasting induced coldness. I’m not very good at it yet or at least I should say I haven’t managed any dramatic feats through doing it which is also the case for me with respect to mindfulness and other meditations.

(Scott) #30

I did my first 40 hour fast as part of a colonoscopy prep last weekend. I felt extremely cold to the point I was wearing two light jackets inside the house. I was sitting on the toilet at 3 am and was shaking so bad I was having trouble reading. My fist time observations.

(Bunny) #31

I have experienced this coldness too while fasting, so what I have done in the past is taking bath with ice cubes slowly adding more cubes (forces the body to turn on its ATP/UCP-1 heaters like fish that glow in the dark in extremely cold water?), taking a hot shower followed by a cold shower while fasting. I do think it gets the brown adipose tissue activated and browning of white adipose tissue along with breathing techniques…

Eating raw seaweed and Icelandic kelp helps!

(Karim Wassef) #32

I’ve started breathing exercises and it is helping. I’m not sure if the super oxygenation state helps thermogenesis or if the CO2/O2 stressors create an internal distraction that reduces the sensation of the cold. Will report back as I do more

(Windmill Tilter) #33

Wif Hof is a fascinating character. I’ve always been curious to try his breathing techniques. I guess it kind of makes sense that it would be effective for dealing with cold symptoms in fasting. I might have to try it myself. Keep us posted!