Freestyle Optium Neo

(Stephen So) #1

Hey guys,

Love the podcast and was late coming to the facebook party so did not want to miss out on joining the forum. So the latest episode talked about 3 ways to detect ketones.

1. Urine sticks
  2. Ketone strips
  3. Breathalyzer

I was reading on /r/keto the other day and there was mentioned of a 4th way. I wonder if the oldies or anyone else have heard of this.

Basically test your blood using a glucose strip instead of a ketone strip after a night of fasting. And test it again in 2 hours without eating. If your reading decreases, it means that there is no insulin produced, because there is no excess glucose left in the body? so that means that we are in a state of ketosis and producing ketones. (a whole round about way of getting assurance?) However if your reading increases, it could be that proteins in your body is being used for energy or you are not in keto, either way just eat keto and KCKO

Does this make sense to anyone else? The reason I ask is the blood glucose strips are so much cheaper than the ketone strips. At the moment I am only testing ketone every week.

(AnnaLeeThal) #2

I don’t feel like this is a reliable way to test for ketosis.

The glucometer is a good way to test your insulin response to food based on what your blood sugar does over time after you eat.

(matt ) #3

This does not seem to take the dawn effect into consideration.

(Luke Jeffery) #4

Sounds like bullshit to me

(Stephen So) #5

What is the dawn effect?

(matt ) #6

The dawn phenomenon, also called the dawn effect, is the term used to describe an abnormal early-morning increase in blood sugar (glucose) — usually between 2 and 8 a.m. — in people with diabetes.

You can google it and read more but I cannot bring myself to link to the ADA here.