Free hamburger patties- with a hidden cost

(April Harkness) #1

At the nursing home i work at part time, i noticed the cooks about to throw away uneatenhamburger patties. A whole tray. I stopped them and took them home with grand ideas of all the carnivore dishes i could make with them. Made lowcarb taco casserole for my bf and son, burger sandwich for me( with patties as the bread). Each time i had one…stomach pain and bathroom issues. Thought it was a fluke. Had another beef sandwich. Again. I am worried. Is it the beef. The garloc aioli mayo? The egg? Am i not meant to be carnivore??? I call the nursing home and ask one of the cooks to read the ingredient list of the premade burgers. 1st ingredient- beef. 2nd ingredient? Wheat gluten. So i make a 3rd sandwich exactly like the others. Except i use 100% beef patties. No cramping. No stomach issues. I use to immeditely think “snowflake” everytime i would hear someone complain of a gluten sensitivity. My 23 and me report lists that i have one of the variants for celiac disease. Now i do not have this disease but i am damn sure now i have a sensitivity to wheat. I am that snowflake. Threw the burgers away. By the way…carb count for each burger? Cook read 4. Four! Which meant i ate more carbs the past three days than i thought. Some good came from this…i realize i can eat more carbs than i thought and stay lean. But next time i wont get them from burgers with gluten.

(Susan) #2

It really brings home the point that we really need to know the ingredients of any processed foods, eh? Keto may have indeed saved you from developing Celiac Disease!

I am glad that you figured out what it was and that you are not having reactions to beef. That would have been really horrid.

(Ken) #3

The manufacturers think they’re making the burgers more healthy by using gluten as a binder rather than fat.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

More likely they find it saves money, wheat is a hell of a lot cheaper than beef.

@April_Harkness It just blows me away how hospitals spend all kinds of money trying to treat a medical condition while skimping to save pennies on food people eat while healing. They generally feed people the cheapest crap they can get away with, like food has nothing to do with healing. Food is the best medicine you can take. It’s changing in California some places, the better hospitals are offering more real food choices to patients now. But it’s still mostly junk. Canned fruit cocktail, and frozen vegetables and tons of starch choices and bad fats. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Murphy Kismet) #5

Could be the gluten, or it could be the glyphosate.

I tested DH–with his permission. I bought some Red Fife Wheat flour–heritage, non-gmo, non-hybridized, organic–and made pancakes with it every weekend for 4 weeks. At the fourth week I noticed he was wringing his hands: arthritis in his knuckles had returned, as it had in the rest of his body.

So he has a gluten sensitivity hands down. Glyphosate makes it worse, makes the arthritis act up within a day.

Most times, I say it’s the glyphosate.

(Murphy Kismet) #6

Bread crumbs/gluten is used as a filler, not a binder. It’s a cheap way to extend a bit of meat. Eggs bind.

(April Harkness) #7

agreed. removing all starches, grains, milk, sugars has been eye opening. All those stomach aches I just powered through in the past thinking that was normal??? From the damn grains. And I was “healthy.” Our sickest ppl are given this crap. GRR!!!

(Bob M) #8

I use Einkorn wheat (non-hybridized) for holidays, so a few times a year. I can’t tell how much it affects me, as I’m eating too many other things at those times. I know the effect is nowhere close to pizza made with normal wheat, which – while it tastes great – causes me instant asthma and allergies the next day. And a super high blood sugar level for hours.