Franz "Zero Net Carb" Keto Bread

(Blake) #1

Has anyone tried this? Franz rolled it out a few weeks ago in the Seattle area and is spreading pretty rapidly throughout the Western US, so I was surprised not to get any search results on here yet. I’ll be picking up a loaf later this week, now that it’s hit my area. My daughter in Seattle reports it was great in a BLT and Patty melt…

I just ordered some keto bread online.I am waiting for it be delivered. I will let you know if it is any good. But ZERO net carbs sounds pretty good. But maybe there is a hitch with “net”? The stuff I ordered had a few carbs in it which I just have to count into my daily ration of 20.

(Brandy) #3

This is a photo of the back of the package that I borrowed from a member of another Facebook group I belong to. Given the ingredients, I wouldn’t eat it- but then again, the bar I personally set for anything out of a package is exceptionally high.

On a Reddit thread I followed for a minute, some people complained that it raised their BG, although to be fair, most of the thread was all fanfare.

(Rebecca ) #4

MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, WATER, WHEAT GLUTEN, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE, (CHICORY) VEGETABLE FIBER, OAT FIBER, SOYBEAN OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: YEAST, VINEGAR, SALT, ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID).

CONTAINS: WHEAT.

These are the ingredients for the Franz Keto Bread…they would kill my stomach!!

(Jack Bennett) #5

How is it “zero carb” if the first ingredient is modified wheat starch? Is it “modified” to make it resistant and indigestible? In that case, it would be like eating a lot of fiber for the gut bacteria.

I’m sure it’s got a few things a few won’t like, but it could be a game changer for many people. I just went a read quite a few reviews for it and everyone seems to really like it though its like a unicorn when trying to find it. I’m on the other side of the country from where it’s at, so maybe by Summer it will get around here. It doesn’t last long on the shelves.

(Susan) #7

I would not eat that at all -half the ingredients are totally non keto, I don’t know how they can call it zero carb --plus it says total carbs is 12 grams, no thanks. Processed Carbage still for me.

A slice is very little, it’s surely not 0 net carbs but it easily can be below 1g. My own keto bread has lots of gluten therefore it has carbs but 30g is 0.9g carbs if I use the simplest (not very tasty) recipe.
I like to know the numbers a bit better but there are reasons I buy almost nothing that has multiple ingredients (and almost everything has labels for 100g here).

I personally don’t care about total carbs or gluten much. I don’t eat heavily processed stuff. But it’s me, it still can work for others, of course.

It shows 12 grams fiber. I’m not a big bread eater regardless of Keto, but most people on this forum is at another level on keto mindset. If this food helps those with less willpower and maybe helps reverse some negative health trends then it will be good.

I’ve not seen a trend this positive for some low carb options since the late 90s and early 2000s. We are finally getting back to the point where restaurants are trying to bring in more Keto friendly foods. Not seen that in nearly two decades. Hopefully the powers against this way of eating don’t shout loud enough to push it back like they did then.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

All the wheat stuff would do me in.

I make keto breads if I need something to hold something together. We do the keto rolls from DietDoctor.com site if we want burgers or other sandwich stuff. We bake more than we need and freeze them for future use, almost as easy as picking up something at the store, oh wait, it is better because we don’t have to drive or wait for a delivery person.

It has soybean oil and I count all processed foods as total carbs, flours especially, so I would avoid something like this.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #12

Yeah, a lot of gluten. Which I avoid strictly, for various reasons.

Not sure what “modified wheat starch” is supposed to be, but I find this very suspect. Remember modofied (hydrogenated) oils? Those worked out really well, didn’t they? :wink:

(Vic) #13

I dont know but with most things in life when it seems to good to be true it usually is

Besides there have been other product that were not what they seemed

I remember reading something about a very low carb pizza that was a complete scam I cant find it now but there are these

Like I mentioned earlier, the people in here are a little more hardcore with the Keto, but for a whole lot of people this type of item may be a game changer. We are the “nerds” of Keto, just don’t adhere to the diet, but want to know the “why”. If an item like this can help someone lose weight, boost self esteem" and maybe kickstart better eating then it will be a good thing. I can’t leave my bread is the one huge holdup that I’ve heard mentioned a hundred times when people talk Keto.

(Jack Bennett) #15

That’s a good point. I have no problem with this as a “gateway drug” for people to get adapted to keto. On the other hand, if someone is already fine without bread, and doesn’t miss it, I wouldn’t recommend getting a keto bread substitute.

(Kara ) #16

I have eaten this bread several times. At first, I thought it was bread in all its glory, but it’s not. It has too many additives that are not Keto and can throw you out of Ketosis. It caused me gut pain and bloating due to gluten and soy/ wheat. It tastes great but I need to go back to making my own when I want bread that is low card. It’s also expensive. This is not a good way to begin a Keto lifestyle.

(Cindy Harrison) #17

Has anyone tried making vegetable leather to use for a sandwich wrap? I’ve seen a couple of recipes. I don’t have a dehydrator but I’m considering it.