Foxhill Kitchens

I’ve been eating their double-sided everything bagels these past few days after @carl suggested them. I toast them and make cream cheese and bacon sandwiches. Yum! If you don’t want to make bagels yourself, these are excellent! Only 4 grams of net carbs.

Foxhill Kitchen
(Sophie) #2

Thanks! Never heard of these. Is this a brand you find at the grocery store or do you have to order from somewhere? I’ll have to check them out. Finding real Keto food (aside from meat and veg) is like hunting a rare animal. Seems like I always have to cook everything! Good thing I actually enjoy cooking but sometimes a break is nice too.

(Siobhan) #3

@carl mentioned it on the latest podcast episode

(Joan Hulvey) #4

The fermentation process may be lowering the carb count even more. Maybe that is why I’ve had such great results with their bagels and rolls. NO glucose spikes and I’m able to maintain a blood ketone of 4.2 in the afternoons. My only issue is the expense. Has anyone experimented with yeast baking of low carb breads?

(Sophie) #5

I googled them and couldn’t justify $30 for 4 bagels and a bag of roll-holes, even delivered to my door, when I have all those ingredients sitting in my pantry. Instead, I googled their ingredients as they listed them and Wheat Belly Blog popped up. I think it’s the closest with a minimum of tweaks.

Thanks for the link. I’m going to try this today!

(Sophie) #7

Let us know how it turns out! I just got cucumber-bombed by my farmer friend so I guess I’ll be making dill pickles all weekend! :open_mouth:

(Jennifer) #8

I need this recipe… I’m thinking about tweaking one I found and removing the egg and adding the yeast.

Yea, $10 for 4 hamburger buns is a tough one to justify. The bagels would be tough as well (if I was tempted by everything bagels).

It’s in the oven now…

(Sophie) #11

Oh Boy! Did you set it aside to rise any before you baked it?

Yes for 3 1/2 hours. It increased about a third in size.

OK here’s my results making the wheat belly version:

Ready to let rise.

After rising, ready to go into the oven. I sprayed coconut oil on top and added “Everything” seasoning.

Fresh out of the oven!

After slicing and sampling.

So here’s my verdict. It came out moister and denser than I would have liked. Maybe I’ll add an egg next time or baking powder and vinegar to help it rise more. I didn’t use the full tablespoon of sugar (more like a teaspoon) but the yeast was nice and frothy so I don’t think that was an issue.

Also, I was too lazy to brush egg white on top to make the toppings stick. Big mistake, it all fell off.

That said, I do believe this is the tastiest low carb bread I’ve made yet. I used to make “Soul Bread,” but I think this is much better (and a simpler recipe, too). I like that the bread isn’t crumbly and holds together – nice and springy, almost gluten-y. I like the taste, though I will add some more salt next time.

It tastes great with butter of course and I think this will make lovely sandwiches. I haven’t eaten bread in a while, so I’m out of the habit of knowing what to do with it!

So I will definitely make this again and try to tweak the springiness with baking powder/egg. Even if it doesn’t rise any better, I’ll still keep making it.

Thanks for the link @JustPeachy!! Here it is again for anyone who wants to try it:

I’ve been getting the impression lately that there are a lot of factors that can slow or dull the ability of yeast to act and make bread rise (certain ingredients, proximity at various stages of preparation to certain ingredients, prove temperature, etc). I would actually expect the significantly lower amount of sugar played a role here, considering the yeast would typically use the sugar for fermentation / life.

OK, thanks – I’ll try more sugar next time since the yeast eats it anyway.

Nice! I’ll have to try baking my own sometime. If you tweak it, please keep us posted.

(Sophie) #17

Wow! That looks fantastic, for real! Thank you for taking the time to post all the pics. I’m definitely bumping this one up on my Must-Try List, once I get from under this mountain of pickles around here! :confounded:

Something I wonder about also is subbing out the flax for a small amount of Coconut flour. With the yeast, I think it might make a difference being coconut flour is carb-ier, hence more sugar? That’s just a mental note to myself to test.

And I had to giggle about all the seeds falling off! That was cute a reminder. :grin: Thanks again, I’m really looking forward to trying this out!

(Joan Hulvey) #18

Thanks for all of the tips. I’m going to first try to make a starter from a banana, then move on to the bread. Here’s the banana yeast blog I found:
http://sherynnosl.com/recipe/natural-yeast-from-fruits/

(Joan Hulvey) #19

Ended up with rolls that tasted like a pumpernickle focaccia. This was a mix of the banana and honey fed yeast, the Wheat Belly recipe, with influences from Dr Berg’s recipe and an adjustment to what I had in the house and my attempt to lesson the carbs. BTW – hubby approved!
Berg’s recipe: https://www.drberg.com/blog/adrenal/the-healthiest-bread-in-the-world

How I morphed them together:
Warm 1.25 c water to 105-110 degrees. Mix with 1 T live active yeast, 1 T raw honey, 1 very ripe peeled and sliced banana and 1 T kefir. Shake it all together in a mason jar, then remove the lid and replace with a coffee filter and rubber band. Leave in a warm place till bubbling. Pull out the banana pieces and discard them. Add to the yeast mixture: 1 T dry tapioca, 2 T psyllium husk powder and 1.5 T chia seeds, mix together and leave alone till gelatinous. Meanwhile, mix dry ingredients then add them to the yeast mixture: 1/3 c coconut flour, 1 c superfine almond flour, 1/2 c hemp hearts, 1/2 c egg white powder and 1 tsp sea salt. Mix together 1 tsp baking soda with 1 T apple cider vinegar, then add it to the dough. Knead everything together. I separated the dough into 8 rolls, and let them proof for almost 6 hours, but I bet you could leave it to ferment overnight. The kitchen smelled very yeasty (divine). Brush with an egg wash and bake on a preheated stone to 375 degrees for 8 minutes; rotate stone and bake another 10 minutes or until browned. The tiny amount of tapioca raised to the top, adding a crunchy texture. These were more dense than the professional version, but they tasted and smelled great.

(Joan Hulvey) #20

Here’s someone else’s recipe:
http://www.ketofam.com/2016/06/27/keto-yeast-bread-grain-free-gluten-free-low-carb/