Found Sorbitol

(Marius the butter craving dude) #1

I wanted to buy a mouth wash water solution, and I read the label and it has sorbitol… I did not encounter this sweetener before (as far as I know) ; read a bit and it seems to be reduced glucose. Dose this altered form of glucose get metabolized as energy ? It also listed some saccharin stuff…
Also what is the point of putting sorbitol and sugars in a mouth wash solution when sugars cause cavities ? I am starting to get worried about dental hygiene products after this…

The full ingredients are: Ingrediente:

Aqua, Alcohol, Sorbitol, Poloxamer 407, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Eucalyptol, Aroma, Methyl Salicylate, Thymol, Menthol, Sodium Benzonate, CI 42053.

(Ethan) #2

Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol, so it probably won’t promote cavities like sugar itself. As a sweetener for a mouthwash, it’s not that bad. I dont recommend it for food though, as it causes diarrhea and may raise glucose or insulin—as a mouth wash it’s better, since you don’t swallow it or have it in large amounts. Many mouth washes have alcohol or don’t taste good to people. Most toothpastes likewise don’t taste good to many people. So they add sweeteners.

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

My wife gets horrible gastric problems form sorbitol, but I can tolerate it fine. I don’t eat lots, but they use it in many sugar free candies and I’ve had a few mints or sugar free cough drops with no issues…

Like @EZB said, it’s a sugar alcohol and those don’t promote cavities. There are dentists recommending you brush with other sugar alcohols, xylitol or erythritol, because of their cavity prevention.

For example: https://www.healingteethnaturally.com/rinsing-mouth-brushing-teeth-with-xylitol-sugar.html (not that I know anything about how reliable the information is)

(Jay Patten) #4

Just swoosh some vodka around your mouth for 60 seconds and then swallow it.

No, no! Just kidding, don’t do that! :joy::grin: