Former athlete/current scientist completely overwhelmed by the ways keto has already changed my life (& ?s about calibrating macros/cals for my keto-boosted activity levels!

calories
exercise
science
newbies
food

(JGL) #41

I haven’t, but i have read several of his peer reviewed articles and I like what he is doing.

I’ve worked extensively with urban dwelling Maasai in northing Tanzania for about 12 years and and interesting note to append to that example is that this is genuinely happening with the women far more than with the men. The socioeconomic factors that are exacerbated when women are exiled or leave a staunchly patriarchal society and the lack of resources they have to feed themselves when they end up in the cities is a huge factor in what is happening there.

I have had some of the most educating digestive experiences of my life while living in rural Maasai areas. The nutritional adaptations of the Maasai could totally be a whole other topic on here and are fascinating, surely, from a keto perspective, but there are political, social and economic factors that are significant to look at in order to make sure that they aren’t mythologized, which happens with them over and over and over again.
Their WOE has had complicated impacts on their neighbors There is also something that need to be conceded there that their lack of a backup on nutritional sources apart from their cattle caused a little bit of a genocide on the slopes of Kilimanjaro during a famine in the 1800s. (Side note, but interesting, a really interesting but horrifying example of traditional medical knowledge during into the development of a form of chemical warfare). The story of the Chagga caves mentioned here is something I am going into a bit in my next attempt at ethnographic filmmaking. I collected the footage for it over the summer, but it needs a lot of work in post because we shot in 360.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40388256?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

(Ken) #43

Interesting. Are you familiar with the Xhosa famine in 1856-7? They also lived off their herds, but their religious fervor and belief in a prophet caused them to slaughter their own cattle.

Another earlier mass famine was caused by the Zulu-Matabele war, (Mfecane, Shaka vs. Mizilikazi) both tribes being dependent on their herds.