For ZC, 1 to 1.5 gr protein per lb of LBM + 20?

For the last 3 weeks I’ve not been limiting protein and my average daily protein has increased about 30-40 grams. For the last week I’ve noticed I don’t sleep as well due to crazy legs, I’m thirstier and hungrier, my energy level has gone down, and my toes hurt. I don’t know if these problems are caused by the increased protein or not.

I’m doing the Zorn fast right now, and after that’s done I’m going to go back to 70-80 grams of protein a day and fat to satiety to see if that corrects the problems.

(Chris) #22

Interesting. What’s your food intake in general like? Supplementing at all? Is there exercise happening as well? So many questions! Good luck on the fast, I would join but weekends are for me to eat! Looking forward to the next update.

Mostly beef, some fish and eggs here and there. My daily cals range from 1300 to 2200 with an average of 1700. The volume of my food sends to have gone up a lot, I guess because my meats are not as calorically dense.

The only supplements I take are Natural Calm (magnesium), occasionally some potassium, and lots of salt on my food.

As for exercising, I play tennis, play my drums, walk my dogs, just started playing golf, some dynamic stretching here and there, and once in a while I go to the gym if I feel like it.

(Chris) #24

Do you know about how much fat there is in relation?

Do you mean by calorie wise or by volume?

(Chris) #26

Well I’m more wonder what the ratio is between protein and fat.

You got it below, thank you.

For example, yestetday I ate approximately 2158 calories, 138 grams protein and 175 grams of fat. Day before I ate 1517 cals, 152 grams of protein and 95 grams of fat.

(Chris) #28

OK got it!!

I wonder what the story is, again looking forward to the next few weeks.

(Marty Kendall) #29

People on ZC typically eat more protein because they draw their glucose requirements from protein via GNG rather than carbs. Higher protein tends to be highly satiating so it’s harder to overeat on ZC. Same applies to a lesser extent with keto / low carb.

Someone who has diabetes may struggle to have enough insulin to metabolise protein to build muscles and repair organs while also holding back glycogen stores in the liver, hence they tend to see their blood sugars rise after a high protein meal.

I began ZC the first time in Sept. of 2016 and by Feb. of 2017, I had gained 24 pounds. I can only conclude that I was overeating on ZC that first time around.

This time around, though, ZC seems to be working well for me because I’ve lost most of the weight I gained. Up until a few weeks ago, I was doing a modified form of ZC in that I was limiting protein and eating fat to satiety. It was when I stopped worrying about the macros that I started having problems such as crazy legs, increased thirst and hunger, etc.

At this time, I’m not worried about weight gain or loss, so that is not what I’m addressing. It’s the other issues. That’s why I’m going to go back to limiting protein and eating fat to satiety to see if the problems go away.

(Chris) #31

GNG doesn’t just go hog wild on whatever excess protein one consumes, it’s based on the body’s need and the rest is urinated out as waste. If that was the case I would probably still be 230 pounds.