Food trackers

Hi everyone,

I’m new here - this is my first post! I’ve done low carbs diets in the past, particularly Atkins and had success losing weight. Now I am battling T2 diabetes and NAFL.

I am looking for an online food tracker that will give me the percentages of my macros for each day. I’ve tried MyFitnessPal and it will give my my total carbs/fats/proteins for the day, but I’m looking for something that will then translate each of these categories to the percentage of total calories. I know I can do that but it’s time consuming and I have to believe there is something out there that does this. Does anyone have any recommendations?

By the way, I’ve been lurking for the past few days, and have been really enjoying the “what did you eat keto today” thread, as well as many others.

Thanks for reading!

(Allie) #2

My Fitness Pal does this. It shows you a pie chart with a breakdown.

I don’t know if this will do what you want, but it seems to be pretty popular around here.

https://www.fatsecret.com/Auth.aspx?pa=s&ReturnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fatsecret.com%2FDefault.aspx%3Fpa%3Dm

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Allie, I couldn’t find that feature in MyFitnessPal. Looks like it’s available on the app but I’m using the web version on mylaptop.

Darren, I tried Cronometer and it has exactly what I’m looking for. I like that it also has the the nutrients broken down.

(Carl Keller) #6

Welcome gidget. I use cronometer too. I really like it . Just remember to keep carbs under 20 net grams a day or 50 total. That’s the most important macro of all.

Thanks Carl,

The carbs are what I was concerned about. I’ve been estimating in my head as I go through the day, but I’m pretty liberal with the heavy cream in my coffee and have been eating a lot of cheese. So between that, and the eggs and the leafy greens, I was wondering how I was doing in that department.

I love that I was able to change my profile to a keto diet.

(Carl Keller) #8

Hard to say really. It depends if you are still feeling hungry after you eat this much fat. Fat takes the longest to digest and if you eat enough of it, you can go large portions of the day without being hungry. Cream and cheese are ok addittions to a fat based diet but fatty meats, fish, nuts and to some degree, oils (not vegetable oils) can go a long way toward giving you satiation and nutrition.

Here’s a link to a site that gives a good breakdown of foods that are great for keto:

https://perfectketo.com/full-ketogenic-diet-food-list/

(Pam Winegardner) #9

I use carb manager premium and do not know what I would do without it. I can put my own recipes and nutrition in it. Check it out I can even print reports for my dr. and nutritionist. My measurements, levels, everything goes in it. Awesome to track everything.

I used carbmanager (free), but I have a feeling the app is becoming more and more user-unfriendly…:thinking: I tried adding in brussel sprouts, took me a few minutes to find the selection for “raw”, good luck finding “raw chicken breast”…

(Pam Winegardner) #11

I am still new to keto lifestyle. And I am stuck. 58 days in I have lost 14 lbs since starting keto, a total of weight loss for me since November of last year is 71 lbs. I decided to go keto when i plateaued on a low carb diet. But now i am hovering around another milestone. I am NOT in ketosis not even a trace. I started ketone strips about 2 weeks ago when i stopped losing weight. I am way below my allotted 21 net carbs a day. Really trying to keep my fat and calories high enough. But trying to keep 75% fat 20% protein 5% carbs. I struggle eating enough because i am not hungry. Is it necessary to eat that often? Or that much? Ugh. I exercise at the gym 2 days a week and at home at least another 3 days. Drinking american clear with zero everything. I feel sick, waves of nausea throughout the day particularly in the morning but my glucose is fine. I don’t know what else to do…inches are slow and minimal now.
Is there a better carb tracker app out there where I can get printed reports for my doc?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

(Pam Winegardner) #12

If you don’t find whatever recipe or food that you need, in premium, you can add it and put it on your fav list. You can add all the nutrients also. I use it to add my own recipes and calculate my own net carbs. I love that I can track my vitamin k intake because I am on warfarin.

(charlie3) #13

I use Cronometer

The search function has a very bad user-interface…if i’d like to add a simple egg, i have to scroll through 20 different egg options :roll_eyes:

(Sharon) #15

I use carb manager for free and have no orob finding brussels sprouts raw. In fact it’s the first hit when typing in brussels sprouts. But make sure you spell it right: brussels with a s at the end otherwise you won’t find it as easily :slight_smile:
Found raw chicken breast too.

Cronometer is going to give you the most detail hands down and has awesome reporting/charting ability. Carb manager is also pretty good but won’t go into the detail that chronometer will. I’d rate MyFitnessPal last as it take the most work to configure for specifics and doesn’t go into as much detail as the others. Before I went to cronometer I had the paid version of MFP and it wasn’t as good as the free acct with cronometer.