Food to eat while out at work

(Chris) #1

I work from home most of the time so its not an issue. What can I eat if I am out working. I used to eat granola bars and trail mix. Any ideas on some easy snack foods I can bring with me? I really dont want to be starving while working tomorrow.

(Blessed with butter ) #2

Cheese, meat, salad, I have a couple fat bombs at work, just incase I need them.
I made this cauliflower salad last night, like potato salad but no potatoes, put cauliflower in there instead. I brought a bowl of that yummmmy. You can also bring celery, broccoli and cauliflower to munch on!

Any fast food burger, hold the ketchup and bun. Pork rinds for chips, Parmesan/Cheddar cheese crisps, brie cheese keeps pretty well. Macadamias, pecans. Homemade jerky. Duke’s sausages. Toasted coconut flakes. Hard boiled eggs.

(Chris) #4

I work as a videographer and Im on set locations alot. So bring bowls of salad isn’t really an option for me.

Just need a cooler, but good suggestions above.

(Consensus is Politics) #6

Pepperoni, cheese, olives, cream cheese, pork rinds, avocado (comes in its own bowl. Just slice it around long ways, and twist. You get two little bowls. Slap a sharp knife into the pit and twist to remove. Eat with a spoon. I add hot sauce to mine to pep it up, adds extra salt too.) Or, like today, a completely unplanned extended fast. Once fat adapted it’s very easy to just skip eating for a day or two when I can’t figure out what to eat. When in doubt, don’t.

I’ve even eaten at McDonalds. When I do, I get two double quarters with cheese. I use the bun like a banana peel. Just keep rolling the bun back as I eat it. They don’t put enough ketchup on it that it worries me. But if I think it might be a problem I ask them to hold the ketchup, add some mustard, maybe a few more onions. And I make sure all the condiments get between the patties.

Keto Vitae!

(Candy Lind) #7

@kimlingc - toast your own because the vast majority of commercial ones are sugar-sweetened.

[soapbox]
The other thing I would say is - eat a big breakfast and have a BPC if you do coffee and then really check in with yourself and see if you’re hungry before snacking - or even having lunch. Grazing is looked upon with favor among “carbivores,” but every time you put food in your mouth, you generate insulin. If you are IR, that’s the last thing you want to do. So … wean yourself from grazing and snacking. To start, Eat three good meals that keep you satisfied in between; later, see if you can skip breakfast and just have a BPC. Then maybe you can stretch that BPC all the way to dinner, and without realizing it, you are IFing. If you don’t know these terms, look HERE. Once you can IF, your videography jobs will be a snap!
[/soapbox]

Like @CandyLindTX suggested…a large breakfast might hold you over. If you must eat lunch they have canned meats like sardines and tuna…you could add olive oil for fat.

If you eat…you should EAT. :slight_smile:

(Betty) #9

No sugar added jerky (I like Nick’s sticks); I also used to eat a lot of Moon Cheese (dried cheese) bc it was portable, non perishable, and keto friendly. (I cut out most dairy due to lactose intolerance since then.) Additionally, I portion out macadamia nuts in bags, they’re filling for me, high fat, and ridiculously tasty. Best of luck on the transition to keto healthy snacks!!

Meat sticks and such

@Robert_Johnson

Excellent, Bob! And I totally agree on impromptu fasting. It is empowering, and breaks the bondage food has over my body for a while, like nothing else does. Just my story. YMMV

(Laurie) #12

Lots of good ideas so far.

Sounds like you need finger foods: Hard-boiled eggs, cooked meat cut in manageable pieces, cooked chicken legs, cooked patties (beef or salmon). Hunks of cheese. Cream cheese for rich flavor and fat bomb. Veggie sticks if you want them. A few nuts for crunch. All in baggies. Throw the baggies away when you’re done.

You can even prepare ahead and put in fridge or freezer so you can grab one or more bags quickly when you leave the house. Maybe one from fridge and one from freezer. Eat the fridge one first. The freezer item will keep the other one cold, and will be thawed and ready to eat in a few hours.

Bags of pork rinds.

If I’m in a real hurry I’ve been known to break off a hunk of cheese with my bare hands and rush out the door with it.

I used to work in a factory and didn’t want to bother with spoon or fork, etc. I ate like this all the time. If you don’t mind dealing with a spoon, you can bring cans of sardines.

If you go by food outlets, you can order JUST the beef patty (no messy ketchup, etc.) or other meat for takeout.

Many grocery stores have cooked chicken legs (a whole chicken might be too much, unless you want to share).

If you forgot to pack food, you can buy a package of cheese at the grocery store, get it open somehow, and munch on that. Cheese doesn’t go bad quickly, so as long as you have a plastic bag handy, you can just keep eating it for the rest of the day.

If you’re okay with soybeans, you can get roasted soybeans (ready to eat) from different stores (Walmart, health food stores, etc.).

(mags) #13

Olives and individually wrapped cheeses are my goto when travelling and not fasting