Food poisoning from veggies!

Jokes on me. I got food poisoning from eating broccoli in a restaurant last weekend. Damn those carbs! :cold_sweat: Joking aside, that was the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Who knew it was possible to vomit 16 times an 8 hour window. (Sorry TMI, I know) I suppose it makes sense as veggies are handled way more than meat. Suddenly, I find zero-carb way more appealing and have a new found fear of restaurants.

(Christopher Bingel) #2

Ugh, no good. I hope you’re feeling better!

(Sophie) #3

I’m sorry you got sick! Food poisoning is the worst, believe me I know. At one point in my career, I owned a small BBQ joint and was required by law to become certified in Food Safety.

Be aware that food borne illness normally takes days to weeks to manifest itself depending on what type it is and how much of it you consumed. It’s rare that it happens within an hour or two of eating. So it could have been the poorly washed spinach in that salad that you had 4 days ago for lunch or whatever. Personally, I’m wary of the majority of restaurants even though they are inspected. Family has teased me about my hand washing and use of hot water, paper towels etc. but let me tell you, we stay relatively healthy. Hope you are felling better soon!

(Elena) #4

Brutal I hate having to vomit it’s like the worst feeling. I don’t eat veggies. But my carbs still go to 15 g from Hwc, Cream cheese, Dark chocolate and Nut butter.

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #5

My goto for resolving throwing up is activated charcoal pills. It works wonders, whenever someone on our house gets sick, they pop a couple and they stop. It will absorb everything good and bad. Use them sparingly though if you don’t need it I suspect it could get rid of the good bacteria too.

I know when you drug overdose(certain drugs) or alcohol overdose the ER will pump you full of activated charcoal, so it does work wonders.

I’m a newbie keto-er and had a minor bout of food poisoning today. I woke up around 7 and took 2 capsules of activated charcoal due to stomach upset. I felt some immediate slight relief but then the nausea and headache started up bad. I dragged myself throughout the morning and four hours later, vomited. It’s pretty terrifying when the jet-black charcoal comes back up.

I immediately felt better but started feeling more dogged within the hour. Then I was able to nap for roughly two hours, thanks to napping baby, toddler and tv for the other toddler. I felt a lot better after that. Still kinda crappy but I have enough appetite to sip some chick fill a chicken soup (just avoiding the noodles).

I think the activated charcoal helped because otherwise I wasn’t nauseated enough to vomit but who knows? That’s my n=1.

(Sophie) #7

Sorry to hear that you were ill. I’ve heard good things about activated charcoal from several different sources. I do have some on hand but luckily enough, I’ve never had to take any for stomach upset. I do however, use it to whiten my teeth which works like a charm! :+1:

(Carl Keller) #8

This is why I don’t like to eat out at restaurants. The more produce is handled, the more chance there is for it to get contaminated. E. coli, Salmonella and Listeria are no joke and usually have something to do with unsanitary conditions. The best way to avoid these types of bacteria is to wash your produce and cook it yourself! BTW, I am a sous chef and I have seen what really happens in restaurant kitchens. You don’t want to know. :stuck_out_tongue:

How are you certain it was food poisoning? And from veggies?

Could it have been the norovirus?