Food intolerances with age

I am one of those people who wants to get in shape. I started keto with this in mind. I am 50 yo and recently i started accumulating weight around my waist. Unfortunately, it is very common, especially in US, that woman in this age carries weight around waist. In my country of origin it is also a factor, but still there is high percent of women in this age who do not have a spare tire. So this is possible to stay trim. And i want to be that old woman who does not have a spare tire.

I learned that eating carbs stimulates my overall eating. I could not bring my eating down while being carb-dependent. Hence, keto.

Before that i used to lose weight by going high protein/veggies diet. I would call it no sugar/no grain. No fruit, no starch. No salt as well. Last time i did it, weight melted off in 1 week. I had attractive midsection. But it was not easy to go on this way of eating due to carb withdtawal and i doubt that i was in ketosis then. I still would allow myself a cookie once in a blue moon.

Now on keto i keep my spare tire. There are days when my spare tire shrinks somewhat and it makes me hopeful, then i have HWC in my coffee and i get my spare tire back. I learned a few things from it. Here is what i think:

1. I chose keto in a hope that it will provide me with tools of getting back in good shape WITHOUT too much suffering. Going no sugar, no salt, no grain is much more painful in the beginning and it is absolutely lacks the comforting effect. Keto has comforting effect.
  2. Spare tire comes not from carbs and i suspect, not even from fat… i think this spare tire that women tend to have, is the result of food intolerances that are developed over the aging process. By removing those foods, one can have a chance to get back into shape.

What are those foods for me from the menu i had been consuming on keto?

1. Dairy. All of it. Maybe a piece of cheese once a week would not do harm as long as WHC is totally out, farmer cheese is out.
  2. Soy products. All make me balloon
  3. Cabbage
  4. Green peas
  5. Beans
  6. Smoked anything
  7. All fruits and berries

Foods that do agree with me:

1. Beef
  2. Boiled/grilled fish
  3. Eggs
  4. Cucumbers
  5. Radishes (small red)
  6. Tomatoes
  7. Chicken broth, boiled chicken
  8. Butter
  9. Dill
  10. Lettuce
  11. Olive oil

And i think that keto gives a great less painful start for people like me, but i am not going to meet my goals if i continue loading myself with salty foods. And on keto i can not eat meat. I have gag reflex. When i go light fat diet, i up my protein, and although it gets me out of ketosis, i am sure… pounds melt on me.

I wonder if anyone else has the same experience?

In the beginning of keto i felt strong improvement due to rapid decrease in inflammation. Now, i adjusted to no carb diet (i consume less than 20g), and my body aches are back. After i had HWC. After i have smoked salmon. After i eat avocado. Not my food.

And what is this that makes me type up all this? It is a fear of going my road that i know will help, but it has no shelter, no comfort. The foods that agree with me are the ones that i never crave, never really want to eat and yes, they are super boring. It is mental.

But i put a goal in front of me and i will go after it. By the way, even IF does not save from weight accumulation and bloating. It does a bit, but then it all comes back as soon i eat cabbage that i love and crave, or cheese, or HWC.

I wish life had easier answers.

(Shanda) #2

half the struggle is relearning what is good for you and what is not. Salt is your friend

Dairy can be problematic for some (me included). Most fruits are not really considered keto. And soy is not the best option either. You might want to check out vegetarian or vegan keto since you have an adversion to meat. I can’t be much help in that Dept because I eat all the meats.

Salt is my friend but in minimal amounts. Otherwise my blood pressure goes out of whack

I do not have adversion to meat. I have adversion to meat on keto. If i remove fat and salt, i LOVE meat. Keto brings revulsion to it for some reason.