Food and Nutrition class

(Casey Crisler) #1

I’m signed up to take a food and nutrition class at my local community college next week. It’s supposed to count as a general science course. I’ve looked at the preliminary notes and it’s so cool seeing terms I never heard of 6 months ago - glycogen, homeostasis, ghrelin, etc. Of course, I’m really looking forward to the explanation of how fat in food is bad and lean meats, brown rice, whole wheat et al are all good and healthy for us. Thanks goodness it’s an online class. Lol.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You don’t know? Saturated fat clogs your arteries, meat causes diabetes, the ketogenic diet is unsustainable, so sooner or later you’re going to have to stop eating this way, and in any case, it’s going to kill you. Now you can save the cost of the course! :rofl:

Seriously, have fun, but don’t let the instructor get your goat.:goat: :bacon:

(Casey Crisler) #3

Yeah for real. Luckily all I have to do is repeat their lines and not actually believe them.

(Running from stupidity) #4

No no. Meat rots in your colon. Bacon gives you the cancers.

(Casey Crisler) #5

One of the first lines in the very first lesson “there are not any good or bad foods. Everything in moderation.” “Another good reminder is that carbohydrate are not bad.”

I just don’t know if I can get through this!!

(Brian) #6

Think of it as an exercise in Fantasyland. You may not believe much of it. But you can regurgitate all the right answers to their fairy tales. :wink:

(Casey Crisler) #7

Exactly what I going to do. “Hold my nose and vote” as they say.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Just be careful not to go CICO-tic!

Remember Gary Taubes’s experience interviewing the endocrinologist who carefully explained how insulin stimulated fat cells to store fat. But when Taubes asked, “So we get fat when our insulin level is high?” the endocrinologist literally said, “Oh no! We get fat because we eat too much.”

(Chris) #9

I specifically remember my community health instructor in college telling us anything over 500mg of sodium was going to give you high blood pressure and a stroke eventually

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

It probably wouldn’t have done any good asking to see the evidence for that, either . . . . (sigh)

(Running from stupidity) #11

Today’s lesson: Evidence is overrated.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

“Just the (alternative) facts, ma’am.”—J. Friday

(Casey Crisler) #13

Ah well it’s all a moot point anyway. I dropped the class. In fact, I think I’m done with school completely. Doesn’t make sense at my age to get a degree that won’t do anything for me. Plus I can’t handle the propaganda they keep passing off as “facts.” Frustrating. :angry:

(Brian) #14

I hear ya, Casey. There have been a couple of things I’ve looked into over the last few years that would have pretty much required a degree I don’t have. And doing the actual job, that part of it wasn’t even in question. But what went along with actually getting the degree was a huge enough load of horse hockey that I basically said, “screw it”, not worth it.

There are a couple of businesses I also looked into that I would actually like the kind of work I’d be doing in running and operating such. And then there was the total crapload of regulations and permits and govt oversights… kinda the same thing, I just said, “screw it”.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do instead. :slight_smile:

(Casey Crisler) #15

Thanks. I’m pretty stable in my current career. I’ve got enough years and experience where college won’t make a bit of difference. I’m 30+ years into a 4 year degree at this stage. I think getting certifications would be a better use of my time. Ha, better yet, start actually enjoying life here in the now.

(Running from stupidity) #16

I like your ideas. Please subscribe me to your newsletter.