Folding Bikes

(Elis Diaz) #1

I just started biking this year and I may start biking to work soon. I was thinking about switching to a folding bike, so I can bring it up to my office. Does anyone have one and have recommendations for a possible daily commuter bike? Thanks.

(Mary Ann) #2

I have a Brompton and it’s super portable and great to ride.

(Tom Seest) #3

I have both a Montague Fit and a Montague ParaTrooper Pro. They are both full sized bicycles made by Montague Bicycle out of Boston, and I recommend them both. They also have other bicycles.

I take them on cruises with me, so that I can cruise in foreign ports.

(Elis Diaz) #4

That’s a great idea, I’m going on a cruise in November in the Caribbean, so I might do the same. I’ll look into Montague, thanks.

(Tom Seest) #5

Which cruise line and which ports? It does matter.

(Elis Diaz) #6

That certainly looks compact! :slight_smile: I just learned my building doesn’t allow bikes of any kind, but I may still get a folding bike, they look like fun and super convenient if I want to drive to a trail somewhere.

(Tom Seest) #7

(Elis Diaz) #8

It’s on the Celebrity Summit and one of the main stops is Puerto Rico. It will be my first cruise, so maybe I will just omit the bike to play it simple.

(Tina) #9

I have a Miami from Citizen. Fits well in the back of my car. I use it at the park.

(Todd Allen) #10

I’ve got a Dahon folding bike with a zippered carry bag. Get one of their smaller models like the Jifo inside a bag and hardly anyone would even believe you if you told them you had a bike in the bag. Most of the time when I travel by air I bring my bike as my piece of checked luggage with my clothes inside plastic bags packed around the bicycle to protect it from rough handling. I’ve never have had to pay the bicycle surcharge. The chicago CTA also don’t allow bicycles during rush hour but a bagged folder is never a problem.

Probably the biggest decision is wheel size. Smaller wheels make a smaller bike, especially folded, but bigger wheels are better for longer trips and faster riding. Also, if you are a big guy pay attention to the listed max recommended weight of each model. Folding bike frames aren’t as rugged and will break if overloaded and pushed too hard.

(Mary Ann) #11

Nice work with packing the bike for the plane! My friend brings his Brompton on the plane for the overhead. Mine has a shoulder strap that I carry (short distances) and works great.

(Todd Allen) #12

MaryAnn, my last trip was to San Diego last November. What a great airport, so easy to come and go from, I went out through the naval base adjacent to the airport and it was like going through a park with almost zero traffic or fuss.

(Mary Ann) #13

NIce! The SD airport is nice and convenient!