Folate on carnviore

(Michael) #1

I found it interesting that a search for folate and carnivore diet came up with a number of videos noting a deficiency in folate.
https://twitter.com/mikhailafuller/status/1607897305138569221

Is this a concern for muscle meat eaters? Not sure, but I eat chicken liver specifically for folate, so while I know I will be good, it is certainly interesting and worth watching.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Ted Naiman is not himself a researcher, and he has something of a reputation for taking ideas and running with them well past the data. If a real researcher, such as David Ludwig or Richard Feinman (“the other”) were to say this, I’d be willing to pay more attention.

The U.S. National Institutes of Health say:

Folate is naturally present in a wide variety of foods, including vegetables (especially dark green leafy vegetables), fruits and fruit juices, nuts, beans, peas, seafood, eggs, dairy products, meat, poultry, and grains. Spinach, liver, asparagus, and brussels sprouts are among the foods with the highest folate levels.

a gazillion variables come into play and age on folate intake is a big factor on who you are on carnivore.

remember too ‘our recommended’ amt of folate on ‘carby science testing’ is not what the body ‘actually requires’ to function ya know OFF all plant eating and there are no testing done yet ever to say ‘what does a carnivore physical body need’ when off all plant eating. What and how much does a physical body need when repaired and healthy and on zc plan and for how long and age and other ‘med issues’ one has along with what prescribed meds one might have??

like MP says, what other numbers do effect that folate number ya know and again, variables on this one is way out of whack in a way on who we are but feel ya need thru testing and come up a bit low, very simple is eat is a bit of beef liver. Easy to ‘hide’ in our day if ya don’t like it and simple to supp thru any reputable carnivore supp to take.

and then how long was the carnivore ‘testing’ on the lifestyle. early on it could show deficient as one detoxes and heals and repairs so?

yea tons of shades of massive gray here but also good info for one to go off and research real truths about it.

to micro manage ANY vitamin and mineral on who you are and timeline on zc etc is very personal walk…so…

I surely won’t be the only person who visits this thread not knowing what folate is so I’m just going to save the Google search.

Folate is a B-vitamin that is naturally present in many foods . Your body needs folate to make DNA and other genetic material. Your body also needs folate for your cells to divide. A form of folate, called folic acid, is used in fortified foods and most dietary supplements.
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-Consumer/