Floundering, f*cking Up, want to quit

(Lori) #41

Hey look if you’ve given keto a good go and it’s not working for you, why not try a different version of whole food eating. There’s regular low carb high fat (LCHF) as per Professor Tim Noakes, Paleo, NSNG (no sugar no grains, Vinnie Tortorich). Keep an open mind and look around, it doesn’t have to be keto

(Charles Rounds) #42

Just wondering a few things;

1. Why are you doing keto? Insulin issues, weight issues?
  2. Do you have access to a keto friendly MD?
  3. How long ago was your last complete (not just lipids) blood panel?

Wondering, because although it’s great to get support here (isn’t it!!) - you may have some underlying medical issue that goes beyond what folks here can help you with. But, don’t give up.

(Greg Borchert) #43

For me keto flu went away with better hydration. I thought I was hydrating adequately, but when I started keeping track it became clear that I was dehydrated. I set my goal at 128 ounces of water a day. The right number might be slightly less for you. I’m 6’1" and 190 pounds and quite active. I add two teaspoons of pink salt to the gallon over the course of the day. A quart of water in the first hour after waking up. A quart of water in the early afternoon. Conscious hydration.

Not only did my keto flu end but my HR dropped and I became more regular. In ketosis you flush sodium and can easily dehydrate.

Take a look at this issue. And, as others have said, be kind to yourself. It’s a way of life. It is a process. We are all learning and improving.

(Jo) #44

No one is perfect. It does get easier. Kcko. Don’t give up, keep trying and love yourself. I’ve had days where i wanted to give up and days I messed up… but in still here and trying… you can do it!

(Wendy LaCroix) #45

Don’t quit whatever you do! Maybe trying a slow progressive approach is what will work for you. It’s not a race and we can’t fix in 1 month or 1 year the damage we’ve been doing to our bodies for as many years it took to find this way of life. Try to stop looking at it as a diet and focus on all the good it will do for your body. I’ve experienced all the symptoms described as keto flu. I’m unsure how you came to find this forum but I did so from listening to the 2 Keto Dudes podcast. They are such a great source of information and guidance. I learned from them that you can’t force fasting because of the stress it will put on your body. Try eating keto (the bacon and eggs idea is perfect and easy) for 3 meals a day if your hungry and once you become adapted to the fat for fuel you will eventually just not be hungry at every “meal time” . Then you can try some intermittent fasting. I read The Complete Guide to Fasting Book by Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore and found it very helpful. I hope you find your way to make this work for you. And as Carl and Richard say “keep calm and keto on”

I also struggle with an eating disorder for many years but my reason for trying keto in the first place was actually to manage my eating disorder and not to lose weight. it made a big difference i guess, as before i was never able to eat like a normal person would, 3 meals/day, relaxed without going crazy with grazing, cravings and all that. it is still hard, but a lot more manageable. can’t just stop my disordered eating over night, but i am a lot better at controling myself. been ketoing for 3 years now (with bumps along the way of course ) but it makes me feel like a normal person and the mental struggle is 80% less. i am also much healthier as per blood tests, energy, anxiety levels etc. but i can feel you, still hard to manage any eating disorder. kuddos and never give up. lately, even my disordered eating episodes are still keto. it just saves me of that eratic blood sugar rise, feeling sluggish, stomach aches/digestive issues and shitty general feeling. keto does help even with eating disorders. but you are right, the minset is so important: not for loseing weight but mostly for health, energy, body composition, stable moods, etc. take care of you. :):hugs:

(Diane) #47

Thanks for sharing your story. It’s so moving to hear the many different ways people are taking this nutritional knowledge and making powerful differences in their lives and health.

I wish you well on your ongoing journey! :blush:

(Bunny) #48

(Jay Patten) #49

Hey i just wanted to check uo and see how you are doing this week :grin:

(Janet Edwards) #50

Salt!! For ketosis Minimum 2,000 mg /day = 2 cups bullion.
For fasting 5,000 mg/day = 4 cups bullion or 2 at double strength!

It is the only way to stay hydrated. Guzzle water. Without the salt the water just runs through you and you don’t retain enough. Take your blood pressure to be sure you’re not making it too high. Do you take diuretic? May need to stop for a few days. Potassium is usually prescribed with prescribed diuretic so this will need to be adjusted. Check with Dr. about this. Also, test your glucose and blood ketones. Lower insulin causes kidneys to not retain as much salt. That’s why ketosis lowers blood pressure. But then you lose too much potassium which can affect the heart rhythm. If you normally take blood pressure medication this may need to be adjusted or your blood pressure may get too low and you get dizzy.
Symptoms of dehydration, low blood sugar, low blood pressure and movement in the colon can be similar. They include Nausea, dizziness, brain fog, fatigue, headache, leg/foot cramps. MCT oil can stimulate the colon causing nausea, diarrhea and can stimulate the vagus nerve causing low blood pressure (vasovagal response), if this is a possibility, lay down and prop your feet up to get get blood to the head. Hot flashes & brain fog can come from low blood sugar or colon movement. Dehydration causes constipation. Magnesium citrate can be used for constipation. Low blood sugar symptoms are more about how far and how fast it drops rather than the actual level. Slowly remove all starchy carbs & sugar over a month so you don’t drop blood glucose too fast. Test glucose daily.

Take 100-200 mg potassium and 500 mg magnesium at night. Use electrolyte powder in your water and electrolyte/salt capsules. But they are small amounts so bullion is best. Even after being in ketosis for a while you still need more salt. Beta oxidation, fat burning, takes more water than sugar burning.

Any twinge of pain in your toe or joint could be gout and even if it’s not assume you’re dehydrated and guzzle water. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water can head off many potential problems.

(matt ) #51

Keep in mind that salt and sodium are not the same. For reference a teaspoon of salt weighs 6g but has 2.3g sodium. The sodium is the important number and most folks are under if they are counting salt not sodium.

To convert the sodium to salt or salt to sodium, use these rules:

Sodium to salt

To convert sodium to salt, multiply the sodium figure in milligrams (mg) by 2.5 and then divide by 1,000. So:
milligrams of sodium X 2.5 = milligrams of salt ÷ 1,000

Example:
200mg of sodium

200mg x 2.5 = 500mg salt … then divided by 1,000 = 0.5 grams salt
So 200mg of sodium equates to 500 milligrams or 0.5 grams of salt

Salt to sodium:

To convert grams of salt to milligrams of sodium, divide the salt figure in grams by 2.5 and then multiply by 1,000 to get milligrams. So grams of salt ÷ 2.5 = grams of sodium X 1,000

Example:
6 grams of salt
6g ÷ 2.5 = 2.4g salt … then multiplied by 1,000 = 2400 mg of sodium
So 6 g of salt equates to 2400 milligrams of sodium

My head completely changed after I read Dr Glenn Livingston’s FREE book Never Binge Again. Look on Amazon. Soooo powerful.

I’m interested in knowing how you implemented the strategies in the book. I just started reading it. Thanks, AR

(Ruth E Holleran) #54

Another thing to consider is that the holiday bingeing can take quite some time to recover from. When we are finally pulling ourselves together from the awakened carb cravings, we are stuck in the middle of the desolation of Febraury and March. Here in Vermont winter blues are a formidable enemy for most of us and I have noticed an annual struggle cycle. As many other posters have said, it is time to be kind to yourself, and knowing the struggle is real, take whatever strategies you can manage to push through. It might help to write down a list of all the benefits you noticed when you were doing well, and all the ways you feel rotten when you stray.

I am about to go shopping for the month and just reviewed the foods that inspire me and keep me going so I’ll be sure to stock up. One of the things that makes me stumble is not having good meals to look forward to. I run out of colorful, fresh, yummy things and become easy prey for no-nos, not that I have much here. On bad days I prowl quite a lot, with a growl in my soul.

Courage!

(Samantha J Ross) #55

Thank you so much for sharing! Its good to hear that you’re doing better! I’ve been struggling more the past couple of weeks but I’m getting mental help. I just wish I could be or feel “normal” but hearing stories like yours helps to know that I can actually have a better handle on my ED. It’ll take time and I’m much much better than where I was last year! Thank you xx.

(Tracy) #56

Don’t quit! Believe that it will get better and you are worth it! What helped me was putting sea salt in my water and taking a magnesium supplement helps with my chocolate cravings. Also, the more fat I get, the less I want to eat carbs. Hope this helps.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #57

It might sound silly, but what helped me was the ‘four tendencies’ framework from gretchen rubin.

Once I knew what type of person I was, I had a lot of tools and ideas on hand how I could stay on track.
As a questioner I needed to know exactly why I am doing it, and also set myself a goal I cannot manipulate (fotoshooting in July this year, I want to feel my best and look my best and really see a change compared to the old fotos)

I suggest take the quiz, maybe listen to a few episodes of “happier” to find your personal way of staying on it for life.

You can do it! I believe in you :wink:

And also, once I have a tiny slip up and feel like eating anything in sight I just stuff myself with fat the next day to the point I can not possibly eat anything else. Reves up my metabolism, and kills my cravings very quickly I find. Am I the only one doing this? XD

I’m a questioner too! Is Happy a podcast?

(Madge Boldt) #59

You said it! Love this. It definitely describes me.

(Madge Boldt) #60

Hi Joanna,

Support is something we all need, so phooey on the meanies.

Do not feel like you are the only one who has fallen off and struggled to get back on. We are all trying to learn how to do this for life. I love the term “failing forward” which I feel is part of life. You try something, it fails, you learn, you make adjustments, you try again.

It seems from reading your post that fasting is what caused you to go down the wrong road. So maybe fasting isn’t for you, or maybe it isn’t for you yet. Not every ketonian has to fast! While they go hand in hand for many, we are all special snowflakes.

Be good to yourself when you restart. Eat all the good keto stuff. I do hope the keto flu goes away eventually.