Flirting with T2DM, then NSV!

Hey guys! I started keto (for the 3rd and hopefully final!) time in mid-May, and had my first doctor’s visit since starting. My goals had been weight loss and also I was scared of becoming diabetic. My previous visit to the doctor had shown a fasting BG of 107 and and HbA1c of 5.6 (high end of normal, but we all know what that means, spitting distance to a diagnosis of diabetes). My diet was very carb-heavy with a serious sweet tooth, it was a miracle I wasn’t diabetic already.

I have not had significant issues with cholesterol in the past (not enough to treat), but I admit I was a little nervous about my lipid panel because I didn’t want to have to fight my doctor about the meaning of the various results if there were issues with my LDL. (She told me her practice has a lipidologist who often starts patients on keto for weight loss, but “sometimes they have to go on a statin because of the increased cholesterol that occurs as a result”. Sigh…)

My A1c this week came back 4.7. My HDL was up nearly 20 pts to 70, and my triglycerides came down about 10 pts to 74, so that means my triglyceride:HDL is essentially 1.0. LDL up by 4 pts, and well within normal range.

I also previously had borderline hypertension but not enough to treat, and my BP is now lower than it has been since college at 108/64. Every other member of my immediate family is on medications for hypertension, I wish so much I could get them on keto. Still working on that.

Anyway, thanks for reading about my NSV! It’s not as dramatic as some others, but it made me super happy to be following this WOE!

Addendum: I figure this is also a good opportunity to just generally thank everyone on the forums for making it the place it is. It has been a source of valuable information, moral support, pure entertainment, and delicious food ideas. I love this place, the 2 Keto Dudes for creating it (and the podcast!), and all of you for being here!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Awesome. Congratulations on your NSVs.

Thank you so much, Eric! Also, thank you for some of your previous posts, I think you were among the people who helped me understand what to expect from the lipid panel.

(Adriana) #4

Congrats @Callisto! :tada:

I started keto 5 weeks ago and I’m also nervously waiting for my next physicial at work (in november), I hope my lipid panel is somewhat normal, I know it can give weird numbers until 6-12 months.

(Central Florida Bob ) #5

@Callisto, I think your numbers are amazingly good. I can understand the anxiety about waiting, though. Waiting is the worst part!

(Raj Seth) #6

NOT as dramatic you say? Hmmmm I think your results are superlative - not one thing in those numbers to worry about… Not one thing that is asking to be improved…
maybe one thing - with Cholesterol within normal range - as defined by conventional wisdom - you probably have too low cholesterol… Work on that…

(Candy Lind) #7

My heart :hearts: loves :hearts: reading this kind of stuff! CONGRATS & KCKO!!

Fantastic results! Congratulations!

I saw my GP dr. this week and she was very supportive of my keto plan, and VERY happy about my weight loss. Had labwork done today so hope to have the results next week. I see my endocrinologist in a couple of weeks so hoping that goes well too.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

Those are awesome results. I’m so happy for you.

Thank you so much, everyone! I have to say that the only thing that feels better than having those results is having a place to share them with others who understand and will cheer me on. Thank you so much for that! :grinning:

LOL, that’s awesome, I will most certainly do that!

(Jeanne Wagner) #11

Very impressive indeed! I love to hear when people avoid a full-blown diagnosis of diabetes. Your numbers are wonderful! Congratulations for catching it and taking action early on. :smile:

Thank you Jeanne!

(Denise smith) #13

congratulations, I am hoping for the same results