Five days off plan and oh the damage

YES! We do. :slight_smile:

(Jennibc) #62

A month later and I am STILL hanging on to 1.8 pounds from that trip. It’s crazy how I could put it on so quickly and how long it’s taking to drop. I guess I should be glad that I was able to shed about 6 and half since getting back. Just wanted to check in with my progress on this.

(Susan) #63

Best wishes with getting the rest off – what about trying a 48 hour fast maybe? Sometimes that can help =).

(BuckRimfire) #64

It seems like McDonalds and Burger King are on to us. I’ve ordered without the bun and they put the meat and whatever in a plastic clamshell and provide a fork. I consider all that plastic waste WAY worse than discarding a bun, so if I need a quick meal, I go to Burger King and order 2 or 3 bacon double cheeseburgers to go, and just strip off the bread into the bag for disposal and eat the burgers out of the paper wrapper.

If I went to the same Burger King regularly, I’d try to train them to give me only the patties, bacon, pickle and mustard in the paper, but since I only do this on road trips, it’s never the same place.

(mole person) #65

You can always tell them at McD’s to do it however you like. Tell them to put an “ask me” on it and then tell the server you want the burgers in a lettuce wrap and not on a plastic plate. When they hit the “ask me” button it prompts the kitchen to ask the cash person what the special requests was rather than just following the standard procedure.

(mole person) #66

I also had a recent ‘excursion’ from keto with a similar weight gain. I’m using a protocol that I’ve found has given me much faster losses than I used to get from just returning to my regular keto diet which, as you have said of yourself, always took at least a month to get me back to baseline.

What’s nice about it is it initially kills the cravings dead pretty much instantly in a way KCKO does not, and there is no fasting or caloric restriction. Just a complete lack of carbohydrates and excessive palatability to keep you both unhungry and not interested in eating more than you need.

(Jennibc) #67

I can’t do those longer fasts, they trigger fibromyalgia symptoms in me. The most I can do without putting undue stress on my body is about 20 hours. I think it’s just going to take more time.

(Jennibc) #68

Does it have to be just beef? Could it be both beef and pork? I just roasted a section of pork belly.

(mole person) #69

No. I use beef because beef and lamb make me feel the best of all the meats so I can’t really just eat pork for two weeks. You can go with any meat that has some very fatty options. So pork definitely would qualify as I can think of several very fat cuts. The main elements of the protocol are nothing but the one meat type and salt. You want that semi bored palate that only perks up at true hunger.

(Susan) #70

Ohh okay, sorry, I didn’t know about that, I was just trying to think of a solution. What about droppinng your carbs really low for a few days while still eating lots of proteins and fats (like carnivore for a few days? maybe that would help).

(Jennibc) #71

I may have to do that for a while. And completely give up alcohol - boo!

(Jennibc) #72

Woo hoo! Finally back to my pre-trip weight… it only took six weeks :grimacing: Hopefully, I will NEVER do that to myself again. Now back on track toward goal. Four pounds to go.

(Bunny) #73

Here is another way to think about it:

That’s what’s really neat about the ketogenic diet is you build up resistance to that carb loading or as Dr. Berg says ‘you built up enough of a health reserve’, so all that splurging, really did no harm other than a little weight gain as long as you don’t keep doing it?

I have built up my skeletal muscle enough so I do not have to worry about carb loading every now and then and do not have access to foods I really should be eating through lifting weights and aerobic exercise which is an extra resistance besides the long-term ketogenic diet to absorb the carb load and immediate oxidation of those starchy potato’s with gravy, cakes and bread…lol

(Jennibc) #74

I am pretty fortunate in that despite my having been so heavy for a couple of decades in the past, I didn’t have any obesity risk factors…yet. Wasn’t prediabetic, regular blood pressure, normal lipid panels etc. I think my daily hour long walks are what protected me. But my mood and energy was certainly affected. And when I go off this way of eating, I spend about a week being moody and exhausted. It only takes a few days to get back into ketosis though. But I am just dragging. It could be sugar withdrawal.

(traci simpson) #75

I was at the beach last weekend and found that it’s really difficult to eat out! I had steaks, and burgers with no bun and substituted the fries but I know it was cooked in vegetable oil so that caused some bloating. Also, the hotel had warm cookies at the front desk so I had a cookie a day for three days and the last day I had a beer. I’m afraid to get on the scale! I’m so glad I’m back at home to my cooking!

(Jennibc) #76

Face the scale - but don’t shame or judge yourself. It’s just information. The good news is that even if you gain a few, it will come off if you get right back on plan. It may take longer than you’d like but it will come off.

I feel a tad uneasy that the word panicking contains a “k”.

Now I wonder if picnicking … Aw crikey! :pleading_face: It does as well!

(Jennibc) #78

why?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #79

Because “panic” and “picnic” without a suffix have no “k”, so it’s weird to see it there.

(traci simpson) #80

It doesn’t matter that much anymore because I can’t seem to loose anything. Six pounds in three months is crazy. Do I have any SCV’s? Sure but I also want 10 pounds gone too.