Fitness and Keto

(Madison ) #1

I’ve been full Keto since February 2019 I’ve lost 12lbs and have reached my “goal” weight 3 weeks ago I started at the gym to work on toning. I prefer weight training over cardio. The scale hasn’t moved up or down…I don’t know whether I should be happy or upset. I also was wondering if I should change my macros now that I’m going to the gym?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

What are you trying to accomplish in the gym? Bulk, strength, endurance, agility, etc…

If you eat after resistance training or weight lifting, you should have 25 to 30 grams of protein with Leucine (most meats or whey protein)within 30 minutes and you will build some bulk. But you can build strength even when fasting. No need to eat protein for normal strength training.

(Madison ) #3

I’m really just looking to tone so whatever that is considered. I’d like to have some muscle definition for sure but no bulking.

(Carl Keller) #4

If you’ve reached your goal weight, why would you be bothered that your weight is stable? If you do increase muscle, you should expect your weight to also increase. If you’ve been working out for three weeks, it’s even possible that you have lost fat and replaced some of it with muscle.

(Jeramy Koval) #5

Find a good strength program that you are comfortable with. Personally I’d recommend Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Both will help you get stronger and improve body composition.

You won’t look like a bulking bodybuilder unless you eat and train like one.

(less is more, more or less) #6

It depends. The scale is only one among many things you could measure, like waist, chest and arm measurements. Those are higher value measurements, anyhow, since muscle mass is more dense than fat mass.

So, Dr. Naiman is a bit of an exhibitionist, but the photo dramatizes this point:

(Madison ) #7

I’m down to the weight I wanted but my point is I don’t physically look the way I want. I’m not hung up on the scale anymore I just need to know if I’m on the right path if the scale isn’t moving and I’m not seeing physical changes. I’m also wondering if I should adjust my macros?

If you’re using light weights you probably won’t see any meaningful change. You don’t have to go super heavy but those little 10 pound weights won’t get the job done. Toning is bulking to a certain degree - you have to grow the muscle to see the definition.

(less is more, more or less) #9

That’s your key question, to which I say: absolutely consider changing your macros. I’ve increased my protein intake (I don’t track) to positive effect. There is no one-size fits all. I cringe when I hear the “moderate your protein” intake, only because I do better when my protein intake shatters their suggested limit. Who knows? You may be able to gently increase your carb intake? Only one way to find out.

(Scott) #10

Keto since 7/10/18. I started my fitness routine last week and am continuing this week doing cardio and weights. I do a Nautilus set three times a week because it is quick and I run daily (20 miles last week). Gym is on my route so I can do both easy. I have dropped two pounds in one week. This is pretty good considering I had a couple of IPA’s Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I always track weight but I am more focused on my belly as an indicator how this is going. It is week two and I plan on adding some weight and miles to my new routine. Not changing any macros yet.