First try, best BBQ Baby Back ribs in my life ! šŸ˜€

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

So I followed Gugaā€™s advice (From SV Everything) and went for 21 hrs @ 150 F, and OMG ! Unbelievable :slightly_smiling_face:
Juicy, and so tender, the meat was trying to fall off the bones.

Flavor was maybe a 9.5ā€¦ wondering how I could get even more G. Hughes BBQ Sauce to stick to them ?
Tenderness 10. Any moreso would be mushy.

Juiciness, 10

Sorry for not having more pics, like sliced on the plate, with green beans, and a slice of buttered keto breadā€¦
This was the other half of the rack, that was left :slightly_smiling_face:

Long story short, for Baby Back Ribs, 21 hrs @ 150 F it will be from here on out.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Dang, looking very yummy. I have to get going on SV. Thing is I have a lot of kitchen tools and have been trying to downsize and I am cheap. But SV is in my future.

Iā€™ve watched a lot of Guga SV Everything. He is a bit over time top and yet informative. I wish I was one of his tasting friends.

How did you finish the ribs post SV?

(Bob M) #3

That was my question, too. How long do you have to smoke them?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

But hereā€™s the thingā€¦ Honestly, once you start SVā€™ing {everything :slight_smile: lol} You might find that you are able to put several old kitchen tools out in the garageā€¦ or even, in a garage sale !

To finish them, all I did was pat them dry, place them on the BBQ grille, Gave them a medium sear on both sides. Then painted them well with the G. Hughes sugar free BBQ sauce (we love this stuff) and hit them with the torch to caramelize it. One tip: You still want to keep the torch up high, because setting it lower / cooler, will result in unburned fuel, and a fuel taste on your foodā€¦ Yet, you donā€™t want to burn the BBQ sauce. Solution, just keep the flame farther away from the BBQ sauce covered meat. When Iā€™m doing the regular sear, I try to stay about 16 or 18" awayā€¦ When I was caramelizing the BBQ sauce, I was probably 24" and it took a bit longer. Id just wait until it started to bubble up, then switch the other half of the rack of ribs. Then back a couple times.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

I didnā€™t smoke them at all. And BTW, coming out of the SV bag, they looked freaking hideous ! ā€¦and my GF started mumbling aboutā€¦ Sous Vide againā€¦ its all the sameā€¦ its not real BBQā€¦ that looks nastyā€¦

So I took them outside, gave them a good torchingā€¦ then slathered with G. Hughes BBQ sauce, and caramelized that on, and Bam ! She ā€œreluctantly admittedā€ that these were some of the best ribs she had every had ! Certainly the most tender and juicyā€¦ But she wanted to make the seasoning rub the next time. Sure :slight_smile: No problem :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #6

I wonder if you could do the technique where you cool it down after cooking in the sous vide, then smoke over a hotter flame? That would likely work, though the timing would be an issue.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

Iā€™m SURE you could. In fact, Iā€™ve seen several videos where guys were combining Sous Vide, with smoking, and grilling too. I think the only thing to be concerned about would be to not bring the temp up too high, as with SV its already cooked perfectly, all the way through.

Oh, and one other important thing I learned on the SV Everything channel, was to remove the film of silver skin from the inside of the ribs. Its kind of a pain getting it started, but once you can get a few fingers under it (something to hold onto) it will pretty much pull off in one big piece.

(Ellen ) #8

Chris, have you had any adverse effects from the G Huges BBQ sauce? I was up all night last night with stomach pain. I really think it was the G Huges sauce. Feeling bad!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Definitely not. You know that they actually use Sucralose in this BBQ sauce right ? And you can see in my screen signature that I love that stuff and have never had any problem with it.
Iā€™ve heard of some people having issues with Sucralose, and other artificial sweeteners, so maybe your one of them ? Which would be a shame.

But Ely, you havenā€™t had Sucralose before, in anything else ??? I mean if you have, and it wasnā€™t a problem, then I donā€™t think it was the BBQ sauce that upset your stomach.

(Ellen ) #10

I never checked labels before. I know you love. Thatā€™s why I searched for your post this morning when I woke up. I really like the stuff myself but will be giving it up for awhile. Not sure it was G-Hughs, but the only thing different. Thanks for getting back to me!

(Michael) #12

Oops, this ainā€™t the thread to read on a fast.