First time EF - success!

(Michelle) #1

Yesterday marked my two month ketoversary, and I have been fascinated by all of the people who fast. After the first couple of weeks I IF’d 16:8 but not really - my three cups of BPC totaled about 300 kcal. Feeling quite fat-adapted and after reading the first half of Dr. Fung’s The Complete Guide to Fasting, I finished my glass of 1792 bourbon at about 8 pm Sunday and began my EF.

I thought it would be torture and that only superstars can fast. I mean, I am a 43 year old 200+ pound stay at home Mom who has been obese 90% of my life. I have PCOS, crazy hormones, and a definite sweet tooth.

I love this feeling!

I am currently 36 hours into my first fast and I will likely break it tonight around 6, so at 46 hours, when we eat as a family. My husband is totally freaked out about it. He wasn’t sure I would wake up this morning - he said he thought I would wither away in my sleep. Ha!

What made my first fast a success:

1. Waiting until I was fat adapted. Being able to comfortably IF 16:8 without food cravings for a few weeks.
  2. Hydration. I drank 1.5 gallons of water yesterday.
  3. Salt. I have a bottle of Mediterranean Sea Salt (salt grinder refill). I just shook out a few granules and let them melt in my mouth a few times.
  4. Staying busy. I did ALL THE LAUNDRY yesterday, which was a lot after 4 days of vacation. Also i organized my son’s toys - he had a play date with friends and cousins and everything was a mess.
  5. I fed my family food I had prepped and froze last week. I didn’t plan for the fast, but I smoked a pork shoulder on July 4 and froze the leftover pulled pork before leaving for vacation. I could easily heat that up and pop some frozen broccoli in the microwave without being tempted to nibble.

Seriously if I can fast, anyone can!

Awesome, Michelle! Good for you :grin:

(Ellen) #3

Congrats!

(Jason Christianson) #4

Way to go! Fasting feels so good, t’s an addictive feeling.