First Post - Struggling with < 20g carbs - New to Keto - Is what I am eating right?

(Dom DePlume) #21

But it is essentially a meal…

That’s the bit needed. I typically tell people just that, and skip “breakfast”. BPC’s got enough goodness in it to cary you for hours

(Randy) #22

It’s hard to give a one size fits all answer to that. Especially since I’m in no way an expert on this stuff. The 2 Keto Dudes always say 20g or less of carbs. Moderate protein. And fat to satiety.
Satiety is key to my understanding. If you’re hungry, add some fat. If you’re not, don’t. But many other things can come in to play. Insulin levels, stress, cortisol and sleep all seem to effect people in different ways.
You’ll see a lot “n=1” posts here which simply means we’re all an experiment of one. And although there are some common sense guidelines we all follow, the key is to experiment and find what works best for you.

Good luck.

(Candy Lind) #23

Did you start keto “just” to lose 10 pounds? Do you have any hormonal/metabolic issues? Do you want to burn fat for athletic performance reasons?

If you were advised to add HWC to increase your fat because you’re not getting 70% of your calories from fat, then I would do it. You’re new enough that you’re probably not fat adapted. Fat adaption will help get the weight off (if your goal weight is indeed the right weight for your body) by keeping you from being hungry & drawing on your fat stores, but you’ll have to trick your body into giving it up.

I will also tell you that if you thought this would be the easiest way to get that 10 pounds off, you may be disappointed. The last 10 will be a struggle, no matter what approach you take. If you intend to continue the keto way of life, it will more than likely be easier to maintain whatever final weight you settle on by using keto & fasting. If you intend to go back to high carb living, all bets are off. :unamused:

Splenda (packets & bulk) contains maltodextrin, which I believe has higher GI than sugar. The sucralose itself, in its pure form, will probably not spike you. There is a camp that believes it will mess with your gut microbiome, however. Just FYI, TruVia is not pure steviacides, either, and may also spike your BG. Idiot manufacturers putting substances that are known to spike BG in products recommended for T2D’s! :woman_facepalming: SMH

(Empress of the Unexpected) #24

Always good advice. No I am doing this because my triglycerides are suddenly very high and my doctor has pointed out that there is a connection between that and my belly fat. (He told me for my health’s sake to lose the belly, ASAP). I am assuming ten pounds, because that would be my normal adult weight sans belly. But maybe some recomposition will take place, who knows. I’ve always been more of a meat eater than a carb eater, so this is not too hard for me. But spent a couple of years joining my husband on his sandwich binges! That’s how I got into this mess. But I’ve already seen changes in the last two months that I am pleased with.