First OMAD - Unintentional

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

Yesterday I had my very first OMAD. It wasn’t something planned at all. I had planned to have my first meal around 1pm after a good run, but I ended up with my sister at Panara. And while scanning the menu trying to figure out what was the least carby thing there, it hit me that I wasn’t actually hungry. I ordered green tea and sipped away while my sis ate her carb loaded meal.

Later I felt nauseous, and while salt quickly cleared that up, it still left me not wanting to eat.

After that I turned to yard work. Nothing makes you miss hunger signals like focusing on manual tasks.

So I finally sat down for dinner about 7pm. I probably could have waited longer, but I had to get cooking and had to get through a few days worth (I make meals ahead).

Anyway, it was way easier than I would have thought.

My concern is that I have read that too much OMAD will slow down metabolism. I was wondering what is too much??? I dropped over a pound since yesterday, but I doubt that I would do that everyday if I continued on OMAD.

Would once a week be good? Or twice a week? I don’t think I want to do more than that.

(TJ Borden) #2

Like how you just fell into it, do what feels natural. It’s easy for us (myself included) to forget the concept of eating when you’re hungry and not when you’re not. As I type this, I’m getting ready to eat dinner that my wife is making, and I’m even hungry.

I often eat OMAD, but I also try to mix it up to avoid homeostasis (a word I use often because it’s one of the biggest ones I know how to use correctly). I usually eat OMAD during the week (usually dinner) then 2-3 a day on weekends, but I also don’t avoid business breakfasts or lunches.

OMAD will only slow your metabolism if you’re not getting enough from that one meal, but it’s still important to mix it up. Megan Ramos talked about it on one of the podcasts not too long ago.

(Ron) #3

If you have time take a look at this. -

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

I don’t know how I would get enough if I did too many OMAD’s. I ate till I was full, dragged out the meal for a while and even had a Keto friendly dessert, but I still only logged only 1,084 calories.

Too many days like that and I’m sure I would slow down my metabolism.

(TJ Borden) #5

You need to hang out with a fat guy like me. Eating a couple thousand calories in one sitting is one of the skills I’ve honed over the years that has carried over into keto life.

(TJ Borden) #6

You’re correct though, if your only getting about a 1000 calories in that one meal, then 2-3 days of OMAD, then a few days back to normal. I think Megan had said it usually takes a few days for the metabolism to recognize the deficit and adjust.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

I usually do 16:8 with 2MAD, but that still let’s me stay around 1500-1600 calories. I know, I’m not supposed to watch calories, but it gets tracked with my macros, so… I’m only 5’2” and as of this morning 133.3 pounds, so this is a pretty good range for me.

Anyway, I like the idea of putting in at least OMAD a week. I think I’ll start there and see how it goes.

Thank you.

(Ashley) #8

Ive been doing 1-2 days of one meal a day, then all of a sudden I’m super hungry and will eat a lot the third day, I don’t count, just make it high fat low carb medium protein, I’m quite overweight so I think my body is just using its own fat