First ketone test results....?

(Heather Bryant) #1

I have been doing Keto since June 27 this year…so almost a month. I was finally able to get my hands on a bottle or ketone tear strips. Just did my first test tonight and as soon as the stick hit urine it turned super dark purple (darkest shade posssible…box says large amount of ketones and says 160 for the number). I have a few questions…

1. Is that good? Or is that “too much” ketones??
  2. Is there a certain time of day I should be testing to get the most accurate results?
  3. Does this large amount of ketones mean I’m in a deep state of Ketosis? Maybe even almost fat adapted? (I hope!)
    Thanks for any help!!

(Sonia A.) #2

Keto sticks turning purple means that you’re producing and excreting a lot of ketones. Don’t worry, it’s not too much ketones. If you’re not type 1 diabetic or type 2 with pancreatic failure, you should be fine. You seem to be in ketosis, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re fat adapted. I always test in the morning in a fasted state.

But I have to warn that the keto sticks are not reliable after a certain time being in ketosis, because the ketones you’ll produce will be used and not excreted.

(Heather Bryant) #3

Thanks!
No, I’m not diabetic. So I guess this test result is great news! Yay!
I also heard that once you’re fat adapted you won’t show any ketones on test sticks. Is that correct? That would be one small way to help tell when I am.

(Sonia A.) #4

Yes, generally, people who are fat adapted don’t see ketones in their urines anymore. But, to know if you’re fat adapted, it’s better to consider the signs (mental clarity, fat loss, no inflammation, energy…). You’ll know without the disappearance of ketones in your urines.

The darkness of the strips is also influenced by how hydrated you are, just like the color of the urine. Nothing to worry about whether they are dark or light.

(Heather Bryant) #6

Well I don’t drink anything but water. Could this mean that the strips just measured my hydration and I really don’t have as much ketones as I thought??

Urine strips are not that great for measuring the amount of ketones, just that there are ketones present. They are a delayed reaction to whatever ketones you produced during the day before you pee them out. Don’t get too excited or depressed about the color of them, just know that you’re in ketosis and headed the right direction.

Make sure to get plenty of salt with that water. Your body will be peeing that out too.

(Heather Bryant) #8

Got it. Thank you so much!

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Have you considered a blood ketone meter? I’ve found it to be very useful when experimenting with my diet. I also found reading Keto Clarity invaluable in the beginning. Lastly, salt is your friend as I’m sure your starting to realize. I controlled almost all of my keto flu symptoms but increasing my salt intake. Good luck.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

For a cheaper alternative that lets you know when you are in nutritional ketosis no finger pricking nor expensive strips needed, check out this thread: