First Fast - how long will I go?

Spontaneous first fast today.

It’s day 32 of being keto, I’ve lost 10lbs and 2", my “hanger” mood issues have disappeared, none of the shaky limbs from not eating every couple hours, and a remarkable decrease in hunger signals.

From the start, listening to the podcast and hearing about the dudes IF, I always thought that’s crazy, there’s no way I will ever be able to do that. Then all of a sudden, I would wake up and not be hungry… Imagine that! Started putting off my first meal until later and later but actually I would usually end up eating because of reasons I would tell myself, “oh I’ve got to go to this place later and I won’t have time to eat so I better eat” or I would just eat because well it’s time to eat.

The past 2 weeks or so I really noticed that I was doing this… Eating when I really didn’t need to eat. Then I really started paying attention, I would be eating because I was bored, or just because I wanted to because food is so delicious and makes me feel happy.

Last night we went out to a nice restaurant and I avoided the bread, got a glass of dry red wine, and ordered the lamb with just the veggies in butter please, no starchy side. I tucked in before I realized the lamb was breaded on one side and the sauce was ?? Who knows. So I calmly just scraped the breading and avoided the sauce and enjoyed my meal immensely.

This morning I woke up 5 pounds higher than my low two days ago. Ugh. Oh well, keep calm and keto on I said.

I wasn’t hungry so I didn’t need breakfast. On my way out the door to take care of some things, I realized I would like to actually try to fast. I’ve got my coffee with a little heavy cream, and my water with some salt in it to keep me hydrated and electrolyted hopefully. So I ran around all day and never once felt hungry. Amazing! I never in a million years thought I could feel this way.

So I’m home now, it’s 5pm. I could eat, I guess, but I think I’ll Just have some more water with salt, maybe later I’ll have another cup of coffee just for fun or a tea…9pm will be 24 hours.

I wonder how long I will go before I really want to have food?

Anyway, just wanted to share I don’t really have anyone I can talk to about my journey… It’s an alien world to my SO and my friends. I appreciate this forum so much and am so grateful for the Dudes ™ and all they have done.

PS have y’all reserved your ketofest tickets yet??

(Mike Glasbrener) #2

My 2 cents.

For me when I started I didn’t make it epic hard or long! I wanted to make this a lifestyle not another challenge to notch up. If the first one is 24 hrs… Awesome! Then next 24hr one will likely be easier. You’ll know how your body reacts and have less stress and more knowledge doing it. Or maybe next time stretch it out a bit more or change up your schedule etc…

So I predict you’ll go as long as you are comfortable…:stuck_out_tongue:

:slight_smile:

In day two fasted here… I’ve got a little grumbly in my belly but really no issues, 2pm and on my second cup of coffee and started on my second liter of water. Added salt to both and supplemented with my magnesium and potassium.

Feeling good and actually… Just kind of relieved I don’t have to think about food, what to make, when to start, if I’ve left the oven on haha

It’s very freeing and I’m realizing how much of my life is dedicated to food prep and eating and thinking about my next meal. I’m doing great.

Are there any considerations to take into account when I do decide to break my fast?

(Adrian Constant) #5

Thats so cool, honestly the salt water while fasting is a good idea I’ll have to try that sometime!

48 hours :open_mouth: I almost broke down and ate because I made supper for my SO as he was doing some great work around the house. I thought for sure I was going to eat with him for a couple reasons. But when it finally came time to eat, my hunger had passed…I just had some of my favorite iced tea (Butterfly Pea Flower +Earl Grey :heart::heart::heart:) and now I’m still happy as a clam.

Traveling tomorrow, I always snack on road trips so I’m going to be prepared with keto snacks, a bullet proof coffee and some hot homemade bone broth. So we’ll see, I’m not 100% either way. I just want to see where this goes.