First-ever cases of obesity in Arctic peoples as noodles replace traditional diet

(Patrick B.) #1

Another nail in the coffin of carbs…

http://siberiantimes.com/science/opinion/features/f0289-first-ever-cases-of-obesity-in-arctic-peoples-as-noodles-replace-traditional-diet/

Researcher Dr Andrey Lobanov says nomadic herders nowadays often buy instant noodles in villages on their pasture routes and this has led to ‘dramatic changes to the rations of the people living in the tundra’.

‘This food is easy to transport, easy to make,’ he said, while also saying the nomadic groups - from the Nenets and Khanty ethnic groups - have added sugar, pastry, pasta, and bread to their diets.

‘The problem is that carbohydrates do not contain the necessary micro elements, which help survival in Arctic conditions,’ he said. ‘The seasonal diet has also changed - the periods when they do not eat traditional food and replace it with carbohydrates has become longer.’

(Candace) #2

Sad, really. I know people have the right to choose, but it still aggravates me when I read how various tribes/countries, etc. were so healthy until they were ‘westernized’ or adapted an ‘American Lifestyle’. One of the documentaries I watched this past weekend showed how Okinawa was once the healthiest area of Japan, but now they have added Mihama American Village - and are now considered some of the fattest people in Japan. SMH

(Patrick B.) #3

If you want to be aggravated, be aggravated that these people made a choice based on information that is given politically and not medically or sound science. People do have a choice but if they aren’t given the full facts they are making those decisions with poor information, because they trust their doctors.

(Candace) #4

Exactly - I don’t think they are doing it because they know it will make them sick

(Patrick B.) #5

Well some people still smoke knowing the dangers… and I can live with that… because they have been informed, but if we treated cigarettes like we do sugar, people would still be smoking.

(Jake P) #6

Sugar is the new tobacco.