First EF over 48 hours

(Cathrine Helle) #21

A bit of an earlier update today :slight_smile:

Todays intake: Water, coffee, salt (I donā€™t do magnesium every day, as my digestion is not fond of it).
Hunger: Some, but not nearly as much as the two previous days. I blame all the painful gas in my stomach, I suspect the magnesium yesterday is the culprit. I have IBS and get stomach pains a lot.
Energy: Still tired (I need to work on my sleep patterns). Not cold today, I put on warmer clothes than yesterday to compensate for the over achieving air condition in my office building.
Emotional status: Feeling good :slight_smile: Proud of myself for setting a goal and sticking to it.

Headache this morning went away after coffee and water, and have not returned. Except for the painful tummy, body feels fine. Normal. I have never gotten any kind of rush of energy on keto (like most people talk about), and arenā€™t really surprised that this has not happened during my fast either.

So tomorrow will be my fifth and last day. Weā€™re planning a quick trip to Sweden to do some shopping for our vacation, so Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll break my fast before or after this. I think Iā€™ll have a puny lunch to warm up for dinner. Perhaps some cheese or olives, or a very small salad. Iā€™ll wing it. Dinner tomorrow will probably consist of beef burger or squash lasagna. Or perhaps Iā€™ll wait until Saturday :joy:

(Cathrine Helle) #22

Day five!

Weight: 61,3 kg (or approx. 135 pounds)
Sleep: Better, but not long enough

Feeling good this morning! Sun is shining, vacation is starting, and weā€™ll soon meet the children again. Not hungry today at all, and yesterdays abdomenal discomfort is almost gone.
As for weight loss my fast has yielded a 3,1 kg loss (or 6.8 pounds). Iā€™m actually surprised itā€™s this much, I usually lose very slowly. Eating strict keto I can expect 0,2-0,5 kg a week. But not every week. As Iā€™m approaching normal weight, Iā€™m expecting it to move even slower, or not at all. Fasting is a powerful tool in this regard, and totally negates the constant struggle of figuring out what to eat and when to eat and how much to eat :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m not planning to fast for the next three weeks (due to our vacation), but will resume shorter (or longer) fasts when we return. I do not have access to a scale for the next three weeks, which is also kind of liberating.

Will report back tonight after having broken my fast :slight_smile:

(Cathrine Helle) #23

I broke my fast with a few pieces of beef jerky at seven in the evening. Felt fine, so I prepared a big steak with bearnaise for my husband and myself after a couple of hours. So good :blush: I think I like feasting more than fasting, but who knows - suddenly Iā€™ll fancy another one. Keto on, great people :muscle:

(Cathrine Helle) #24

Just thought Iā€™d update this after my holiday - there was not much fasting done during my vacation. Still, I was only up half a kilo when I came back home :astonished: I wasnā€™t too strict on my vacation either, I even had cake on my birthday (donā€™t tell anyone). However; I had several days where I ate close to zero carb. We were at sea for most of the time, and we mostly used our little portable grill to prepare miscellaneous meat. For extra fats I added egg-based dressings / ready made sauces from a brand with low carb-content (Lhomanders here in Norway). So, to sum up, veggies were for the most part at a minimum (or none at all), and hardly any dairy (except butter and some cheese a few times).

I have not fasted much after I came home. Thereā€™s been a couple of 24 hrs, but I really havenā€™t felt like going longer. Until I do, I try to focus on keeping my diet as carnivore as I can, although there has been more veggies after we came home. Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to keep my loss off, even though Iā€™m approaching normal weight now :slight_smile:

This sounds like a really good experience, and itā€™s amazing that youā€™ve only come back up 1/2 kilo as well! Such a diet change and even moderate IF makes impressive changes from what I can see anecdotally here and in some of the published research.
Iā€™m glad to hear this is working for you as a lifestyle, and your vacation sounds like it was marvelous!!!