First Day on Keto

(Matthew) #1

Hi,

First day starting Keto, I’ve had a tin of Mackerel for breakfast and I’ve got chicken and vegetables for dinner.

Any advice when starting to feel hungry?

Thanks

Supplement with salt. Avoid headaches and fatigue aka as keto flu.

(Tom) #3

Make sure you get enough fat, put some butter (and salt and pepper) on the veggies, and enjoy some cheese afterwards.

(Allie) #4

Add more fat.

(Mike W.) #5

Eat more. A lot more. Step one is becoming fat adapted.

Really , to use more salt was the most important advice for me. I bought a package of salt with 50 % less natrium and more potassium. I am drinking warm water with a pinch of this salt every time I began to feel a little dizzy. I can’t imagine I would have survived without.
Creamcheese with low carbohydrates and lots of fat. This is my kind of dessert now. But you have to check the lable !

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #7

Welcome!

Best advice I got was this:

Hungry - eat fat
Tired - eat protein
Drink Keto-aid by @Brenda
Listen to podcasts a couple of times a week
Overall, eat until full, then stop.
Buy an Instant Pot

I’m 7 months in and still learning every day.

Bear with me, I’m about to get technical: when you get hungry, EAT.

If I’d eaten what you had, I would be hungry again in about 15 minutes.

(Richard Hanson) #9

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to Keto! It is a bold choice that has the potential to change your life.

Hungy? Eat!

Try not to eat any snacks, just at meal times, and when you are hungry add fat to your meals.

A good place to start is dietdoctor.com which has a great tutorial for beginners that will help you understand what foods to eat and which ones to skip. It is also OK to be a bit hungry at the very beginning. If your experience is not atypical, then expect to be just amazed at how little hunger you experience in just a few days. Also, expect to feel like crap. :slight_smile: Some people new to keto have no issues adapting to a state of ketosis, but many others can feel rather sick. If you expect this, then you can celebrate feeling like crap as a milestone on the way to a new and amazing life. I almost feel sorry for those who miss out.

Make sure you get lots of salt in your diet. I am a fan of the pink Himalayan.

Also, there are a lot of people on this forum that will be happy to help you along your keto
journey. Please share your experiences and ask all the “stupid” questions you like. :wink:

Keto for Life!

Best Regards,
Richard

Where are you starting from? As in, have you been low carb and no sugar for a while or have you been high carb and tons of sugar?

Welcome! Enjoy the adventure.

Overall getting your body into ketosis can be as quickly as about 4 days or many days longer:

8 hours to empty the stomach
8 to 24 hours to empty the liver of stores
24 to 48 hours for your body to increase ketone levels
48 to 96 hours for the brain to bring in 75% of its fuel required from ketones, your body will use protein to make glucose for the remaining 25% fuel required
After that you are on the path of ketosis and being fat adapted, then it is a matter of your body upping the ketones levels to meet the demands of the muscles for the next three weeks. After three weeks most muscles have stopped consuming ketones.

Drink lots of water and add some salt.

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #11

All the above plus
Sleep :relieved:
\v/

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

(Sarah ) #13

Keep snacks handy. In no particular order: Pickles, olives, pecans, avocado, cheese, beef jerky *read the label, some is crazy sweet