Finally going to Sous Vide some actual Picanha steaks šŸ™‚

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

After hearing the guys from Sous Vide Everything talking about Picanha, Picanha, Picanhaā€¦ I finally found a beef bottom roastā€¦ Actually pretty common, but always cut wrong ? Like a London broil ?
This one was an actual roast though, with fat cap on :wink:
So the guys at SVE are always suggestingā€¦ 129 for 2 hrs. I think Iā€™ll be doing mine at 133 for 3-4 hrs.
Anxious to do these. Will report back to let you know how it goes :blush:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #2

Hate to say it, but I have to be honestā€¦ These were a fail :frowning:

Flavor was good. Doneness, at 133 was perfect too. They were just tough :worried: I pulled one out at 3 hrs, and nope. Not tender.
Pulled out the rest at 6 hrs, and no change.
Honestly, I should have went on and left them going over night.

Somebody somewhere told me that these were not ā€œtrue Picanhaā€ steaks. But all I can say is, itā€™s bottom round, and the steaks I cut looked just like the steaks Guga and crew rave about. Hmmm. Unless I learn something new, I think Iā€™ll just stick to Brisket, and Tri Tipā€¦

(Rebecca šŸŒø Frankenfluffy) #3

Misread that as ā€˜piranhaā€™ - now that would be a meal that bites back!

Not heard of picanha before. Just going to google itā€¦

Ooooh itā€™s a bit of rump! Nice! :+1::+1::+1:

(Jim Letourneau) #4

It is always disappointing when sous vide doesnā€™t ā€œmeatā€ expectations, donā€™t ask me how I know. I would think that a longer cook time might help help.

These meat geeks have never steered me wrong:

Iā€™ve had a few longer cooks result in the bag expanding with gas so I try to remember to do a quick scald before starting the water bath.

If youā€™re not making mistakes, youā€™re not learning. Next time!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

Thank you Jim. Now hereā€™s whatā€™s interestingā€¦ The guys at SV Everything, act like this ā€œPicanhaā€ is a prime cut, and as such, they talk about SVā€™ing at 129 F for 2 hrs ???
With mine, I could totally see the 30 hrs that your link suggested.
Now, over on a SV forum I go to, one guy said my roast looked like the cut of rump roast one direction or the other from the cut that the SVE guys use. Figures. But other than the roast and fat cap looking like what they use, plus being labeled as Bottom Round, how else am I supposed to know ???

(Jim Letourneau) #6

Good question. Iā€™ve made short ribs 4 times in the last 10 days (meat from 3 different butchers all done at 165F for ~24hrs). I was surprised at how different each batch came out. It would be nice to be able to eyeball a cut of meat and figure out the best way to sous vide it. I see a butchering class in my future.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

Hey Jim, well I have Tri Tip and Brisket dialed in ! And Baby Back Ribs too. I can make these spot on perfect every time (for my preferences anyway).

But those guys talking about Picanha, Picanha, are killing me I canā€™t seem to get the right cut to see what they are talking about :frowning:

I mean, if I really want a great steak, I can do Ribeyes and NY Strips perfectly every time now too (plus those are fastā€¦ only 2-3 hrs)ā€¦ But for $10-12 a lb, those had better be perfect, right ???

(Jim Letourneau) #8

The more expensive the meat or the more people coming over, the more nervous I get. It is great to have some awesome recipes dialed-in.

(Bob M) #9

Interesting. I think Alton Brown used this cut for his Good Eats show and only cooked it 10 hours. I just bought one of these (happened to be on sale), so I might try a longer time period. Maybe 24 hours.

(Bob M) #10

Whoa! I learned on your linked site that Thermapen has a combination thermometer and IR temp reader:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

Bob, you say, ā€œyou just bought oneā€ as if you have no doubt what you boughtā€¦ I wish I could be so sure.

How was yours labeled ? Could you post a photo of how it was cut ?

(Bob M) #12

No, unfortunately. Itā€™s in the sous vide since last night, after steaks came out. Iā€™m going to cook 24 hours, then cool down. I just salted it (no other ingredients).

I meant for it to be for my lunches, but I have beef liver and chicken liver too. However, I realize now that I have too much food for lunches, so we may have this as a dinner. If so, Iā€™ll see if I can remember to take a picture.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

Okay, I hear you. I bet yours will come out good at 24 hrs though. Iā€™m just going to cut mine as paper thin as possible :grinning: lol Glad I got some razor sharp new knives !

(Bob M) #14

Iā€™ve never cooked this particular cut this way, so Iā€™m going to see what itā€™s like. I have done a ton of long cooking, cooling, then smoking for this cut, so that might be next if this turns out OK.

Iā€™m trying to build up a set of cheaper beef cuts and their recipes, as steaks are too expensive. The ones we had yesterday were ribeyes and I think were about $10/pound. Thatā€™s too much, but we were overwhelmed with house work, and steaks are often easy to cook (just sous vide, then broil).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #15

Agreed. The two cuts Iā€™ve found that are cheap, and come out excellent, are Tri Tip, and Brisket. Ribeye was always my favorite steak, but yea, too expensive for me too, especially the way I hammer on red meat nowadays !

BTW, I bought a huge Tri Tip yesterdayā€¦ Itā€™s close to 5 lbs !
Iā€™d SO like to SV it todayā€¦ But we have to finish all of our already cooked meat first. I have so much fun with the SV I have to try to control myself :slightly_smiling_face: