Figuring out keto

(Fawn Gifford) #1

Hey all! I am very new to keto and haven’t started yet but trying to find my way. I’m trying to do keto with my vegan lifestyle. I may have to settle for a vegetarian one though. My question is after all the guidelines with how much carbs/protein/fat I’m losing it when trying to figure out a meal plan. I’m having trouble differentiating if *example my yogurt is protein or a fat?! And so many recipes will add onions or sugar etc and say keto but everything I’ve read says no sugar and no onions lol. I feel like the only thing I can eat is my hemp shakes and coffee with butter and cream! Any tips or help is sooo much appreciated!

(Charlotte) #2

Just keep things simple until you get the hang of things. Use a carb tracker like cronometer and keep your carbs under 20g a day and eat to satiate. There are lots of vegetarian keto folks on here that will be able to help with the finer points. Just keep realistic expectations and do the best you can.

I can’t in good conscience recommend Vegan Keto to people, tho there are Vegan Ketoers who could give some pointers. As for guidelines, they’re pretty much down to: 20g net carbs, protein is 0.5-1g per pound of lean body mass, and you eat fat to satiety.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Strict vegan keto is very difficult, from what I understand, so a ketogenic diet may not be for you, depending on your reasons for being vegan. If you think veganism is just healthier, we will happily argue with you, because there is plenty of evidence in favor of a well-formulated ketogenic diet that includes animal products, but if you are a vegan for moral and ethical reasons, you will have a tough road ahead trying to eat a strict vegan keto diet. It can be done, however.

Vegetarian keto is easier than vegan keto, of course, so if you are willing to relax your standards a bit, that might help you. Also, if there is a moral issue involved, bear in mind that chickens lay eggs whether the eggs are fertilzed or not, and the vast majority of commercially-sold eggs are not fertilized, so eating an egg would not be taking a life. And eggs are an excellent ketogenic food. So is fish, if your principles will allow it. Dairy would be another healthy choice, if it fits your principles; but be aware that even people who can handle lactose can still have problems tolerating casein, the principal milk protein. It would be a good source of protein and fat, however, if it works for you. It is possible, however, to do plant-based keto, as I mentioned, just more difficult than including animal foods.

However you decide to go, people on these forums will support you. If you do make strict vegan keto work, please be sure to post about it, because that information is certainly going to be useful for others. In the meantime, you may find some useful information by using the forum search button, and you might find useful information in the “Vegetables” section of the Food forum. There will also be some useful recipes in the “Recipes” section, but you will have to wade through a lot of meat recipes to find them, sorry.

(Carl Keller) #5

Hello and welcome Fawn.

If you plug in the item in cronometer.com, the app will tell you what exactly the breakdown in fat, protein and carbs is. In general, we shouldn’t eat to satisfy a macro but rather to satisfy our hunger, while keeping carbs low (20 net works great for me). The macro might make you overeat or undereat and we must learn to train and trust our hunger to lose weight in healthy manner, if weight loss is your goal.

Here’a link to a pretty good article that summarizes vegetarian keto and might give you some suggestions about what to include in your new way of eating.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian

(Allie) #6

It’s difficult but can be done if you don’t mind being restricted that much. Have a look on YouTube as there are plenty of vegan keto “what I eat in a day” type of videos on there that will help you. You will not be able to get carbs as low as is ideal for keto, but that doesn’t mean you still won’t be able to get good results.

I’m currently researching lots as I’m working towards making my life much more plant based than it has been in recent years. Not going back to being vegan as in total honestly I don’t believe a 100% vegan diet is the best option for most people (I know some do OK on it though) and I’m already struggling to get the protein my body needs on the days I decide to be vegetarian which is why I’m researching before jumping in more deeply.

Oh and yoghurt would be both fat and protein as it contains both. Take small steps, learn as you go, and don’t be afraid to ask questions.

I found these recipes earlier today, veggie not vegan but I think you’ll like them -

(Esther) #7

The only way i’ve been able to keep my sanity doing keto for almost 2 years is to have meal and snack cards with all the macros written out, plus keeping things very simple. My breakfast is a flax mug muffin and protein shake, snack is usually greek yogurt, and dinner is eggs or meat/fish with salad & 1/2 avocado – and everything with Quest & MCT oil. My partner does almost all protein powder shakes with greens & avocado, plus coffee and coconut/MCT oil (all of which i think is GROSS!). I’d be happy to email scan cards to you!

(Bunny) #8

For B-12

Kelp

Seaweed

Chlorella

Pure Wild Rice (dark stuff only)

If your pescatarian then fish is always good!?

Raw veggies (e.g. avocado) and oils should be around 70% calories not 70% volume

Raw veggie oils oxidize rapidly when you cook with them so I would only cook with monounsaturated fats like coconut oil or palm oil?

The fat intake does not matter whether saturated or polyunsaturated fats (what ever body handles the best), I would stay away from hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated stuff though.