Figuring macros...a thought for discussion

(Deb) #1

It just occurred to me that if we are using our CURRENT LBM, BMR, etc. to figure macros, wouldn’t that be for maintenance? Using our GOAL figures would be for fat loss.
Thoughts?

(Allie) #2

Makes sense in theory, but I’ve stopped tracking completely and am still slowly losing the stubborn bits. While I was still tracking (which I did religiously for two years) I was eating around 1800-2000 cals a day and still losing…

Did I eat more than 20g carbs? NOPE! Macro’s figured out! Eat awesome fatty foods until I’m not hungry anymore. Don’t complicate simple. With the exception of people who aren’t adapted yet and can’t trust their bodies, becoming a sugar burner style macro nazi only makes more work and changes this awesome WOE into a “diet”.

I get why people do it and have heard the “it’s the only way I can loose” but that’s not true (again, IF your adapted) your body knows what it’s doing, have some faith. I’m not a Doctor nor am I a professional at anything including my job. What I am is somebody that has eaten this way for the better part of a decade and helped many others do the same. I’ve yet to see anybody not get their results when they let their bodies call the shots.

(Deb) #4

As I got closer to goal, I have to be more specific. And there seems to be some who have trouble stalling and even gaining.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

For the record, some of us are super sensitive to protein and need to monitor it as closely as carbs. The world ain’t so simple through every set of eyes.

(Allie) #6

Yes I keep protein in check (after the two years tracking everything I have a good idea of quantities), but don’t bother counting calories at all. I did used to adhere to the calorie counting thing, but as time passes and I give myself more freedom, I’m seeing that they really don’t matter to my body…

(Sonia A.) #7

I recently figured out that I can maintain my actual weight by eating keto without counting and to satiety, which means for me around 2500 calories (I’m 5,1 and a bottomless pit :pensive:).

If I want to lose weight (and I do), I need to use fasting. I’m happy because it means that when I finish losing weight, I’ll be able to eat without being afraid of regaining weight.

It is refreshing to see other women of my size (5f 2") eating a good amount of calories:heart::heart:. I eat about 1900 - 2100 most days and I seem to be maintaining my 125 pounds ok. But it was a struggle to realize that I didn’t need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight (at least in my case). I knew the theory but I was too scared! I used to be obese before low carb and I didn’t want to go back that road. I would eat 1200 calories and sometimes lose and sometimes gain weight when I was heavier. But increasing my calories little by little helped me to realize that I didn’t need to be so low to still lose weight! I still have problems with this idea but it seems that if keep my carbs under 20 net grams, moderate protein and 80% fat, I’m happy and satiated.
I also like fasting, mainly for the health benefits (I’m in for the search of the saint grail autophagy!), although it is a fantastic tool to control weight if it start to go crazy. At least this is going to be my approach for maintenance in the near future.

(Sonia A.) #9

That’s a great strategy. Some people fast only once or twice a week to easily maintain their weight. That’s what I intend to do when I reach my ideal weight.

(Deb) #10

How I wish I was one of those who could eat so much and not gain! I’m so close to goal now.

Actually, the formula I just figured out for myself after rethinking it:

GOAL BMR - (current lbs. fat x 31.5)= fat cals/day

(Allie) #11

My only goals now are to be happy and healthy, the number on the scale is no longer important.
I feel so much better since I stopped obsessing about calories, and the weight loss has continued just as steadily as my body now has the fuel it needs to do what I want it to.

(Jim Russell) #12

This works for me. And it works for you. But that doesn’t mean it works for everyone. Both mentally and physically. Mentally, some people need the accountability of tracking. Physically, some people seem to be very sensitive to protein.

Remember, your n=1 is not everyone’s n=1.

(Sonia A.) #13

I think, for most women, it’s difficult to erase a lifetime of worrying about calories and the scale. It’s something that’s ingrained in most of us since childhood. I’m currently working on my mentality and it’s a work in progress. It’s easier to be free of calories with the ketogenic diet than it was with HCLF.

You’re right @Jimbo We have to find what it works for us. But that’s the thing, I would like to invite to everyone to experiment a bit with themselves. We are lucky enough to have tools to measure a lot of variables, some more and some have less but still it’s is worth trying to experiment a bit. That’s what I did. I used to think that 1200 calories was “enough” because I’m small, and if I ate more, I would gain weight. Well…it hasn’t been like that. I started to increase my calories thinking “what’s the worst that can happen? that I gain weight. Then I just need to go back to 1200 cal and that will be it”. But when I increased my calories (slowly, I don’t think that a sudden change it’s good for any experiment, anyways), my weight kept fluctuating in the same fashion as it did when I ate less. Sometimes up and sometimes down, with an overall slow down trend. That was a discovery for and it debunked one of my biggest myths: I’m small so I need to eat 1200 cal or less to lose weight.
I don’t think this would work for everyone in the same way, but I surely think I learnt two precious lessons:

• Give it time. I have been doing Keto 10 months, and sometimes I believe I’m an expert and I have seen it all, and then it’s when I remind myself that I have only given to my body those 10 months to adapt to this woe and there is still lots of things that will eventually change in my body.
  • Experiment with yourself. I need to learn about the specifications of my body. And since there is less scientific literature that uses women as subjects of the studies, I believe that experimenting in yourself is almost mandatory :wink:
    So anyways, that’s why I think places like this forum are like jewels, so you can get ideas from other people’s experiences for your own n=1 hypothesis. But no doubt that one should carry on with the experiment and keep doing what it works for them, both physiologically and mentally, as we all come with different backgrounds.

(Mark Rhodes) #15

and I am looking for the ultimate HgH to complete workouts with!

(Allie) #16

Same as me. I used to think the 1450 I allowed myself was enough as I’m only 5’ 3" but I’ve had nothing but positive results since I stopped limiting, and my physical weight is stable but with noticeable changes in body composition. It’s almost like my body suddenly realised it now has what it needs to do what I’ve been asking it to do (burning fat, building muscle) so started to do it. Seems like trying to make a car run at its best with only fumes in the fuel tank…

Agreed, I’m one of them, So I don’t overdo protein. Not a big deal. Again, starting out vs up and running and knowing your body are two different things. I don’t blame a newbie that’s never considered the difference between proteins, carbs or fat to watch it for a while but the goal should be to learn whats in food and transition to allowing your body to be in control and not a number on a label.

(Deb) #18

Not everyone has the same goal. I was tires…SO tired…of eating the way I read was supposed to make me lose weight. That typical high fat plan worked until I got closer to goal. It doesn’t any more. And I see a lot of people complain they aren’t losing eating keto. I believe this is why…and gives them another path…IF THEY CHOOSE.