Fibre

What is the science against it?

All i see online are just people trying to sell something, unqualified claims, or people with no expertise in the field misrepresenting the science. (like the Fibre Menace guy)

(Chris W) #2

As one data point, I would read through Dr. Georgia Ede’s page with regards to Fiber. She’s not trying to sell anything as far as I can tell and she has some references to studies related to fiber.

I have heard passing small stools is not healthy, is this true?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #4

Aside from the question of whether it is harmful, there is simply no solid evidence that it’s beneficial.

(Doug) #5

I don’t see why it would be harmful. Sometimes, there is only so much stuff in there. When fasting, for example, sometimes you’ll have a BM. Better for that to happen then not.

There are some conditions like a narrowed colon that can cause smaller stools, but you can’t logically go from there to “small stools are bad.”

i think the answer is that it can cause, or at least exacerbate, diverculitis, getting lodged and causing inflammation i guess.

(Zu) #7

hmm I wondered this… I’ve always been not so into it - especially in grain fibre forms such as raw unprocessed wheat bran - but someone mentioned wheat bran as a low carb cereal option (12g carbs in a large 1/3 cup serve) which got me thinking if it was a goodie or a baddie…?

http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/calories-in-brans-oats-wheat-bran-unprocessed-raw_f-Y2lkPTUwODQ0JmJpZD0xJmZpZD0xMDMmZWlkPTI0MzQzMjQ1OSZwb3M9MSZwYXI9JmtleT1yYXcgdW5wcm9jZXNzZWQgd2hlYXQgYnJhbg.html

They sayyyyy (whoever they are) that it decreases risk of colon and bowl cancer… but I dont think that is exclusively the only or best way to do so.

Isn’t it the case that the gut bacteria needs fibre to feed off?

Her article seems to contradict itself: she says we don’t need fibre but also says that gut bacteria need fibre to feed on.

What is the truth here?

Study shows zero fiber diet relieves constipation.

(Doug) #11

Good mention, Mel. Who would have thought?

I disagree

Here is what she says:

We cannot digest the carbohydrates that make up soluble fiber, but the bacteria in our large intestine can, and they do. Undigested carbohydrate fibers arriving in the colon attract huge numbers of bacteria for a free lunch. Is there anything wrong with that? Why not let them enjoy themselves? Well, bacteria don’t exactly digest these carbohydrates, they ferment them, and in the process, they give off gases, like carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and methane. Not only can these gases make you unpopular at parties, but they can also cause uncomfortable cramping and bloating

Not that they need to fibre, rather that it attacts them and you get bloating and gas

interesting article

he advocates a huge fubre intake.

(Bruce) #14

I know that the closer I am to carnivore eating the happier my gut is. I bloat with fibre and it is uncomfortable and smelly.

(Bob M) #15

Not only does it reduce constipation, it does a ton of good.

(Bob M) #16

I’m a non-believer in fiber. The closer I get to carnivore, the happier I am, just like Bruce. (On the other hand, I kinda like the few vegetables I do eat, and some of them are really low in fiber, like olives.)

I think our ancestor ate a wide variety of fiber, from near zero to probably pretty high. But I’ve not seen any studies where more fiber is better than less for things I care about.

(MooBoom) #17

Sorry if this has been shared before, but this presentation sealed the deal on fibre for me.