FEMALE with a busted BMR and insulin resistance

(Tara) #1

I did a MAJOR low calorie diet and lost 80lbs but it WRECKED my BMR. Following the diet, I gained weight very easily for just going a few calories over an already very restricted calorie intake (also cold all the time, hair loss, etc. etc). On top of that, I have insulin resistance (IR), which I would really like to try to become more insulin sensitive so I’m headed straight for diabetes.

So I have been listening to lots of podcasts (including many by Dr. Fung and Megan). And it made me hopeful that intermittent fasting or even eventually longer fasts could help me correct this. However, the Internet indicates that women have different experiences with fasting than men. I just NEED HOPE. Does anyone have stories where they feel like either their BMR or IR have improved with some fasting regimen?

EDITED TO ADD: I have been Keto since May 2018

(Jane) #2

Do you just want to fix your metabolism by fasting only? Or becoming fat-adapted with a keto lifestyle? Or both?

(Chris) #3

Fasting to fix a busted BMR?

In the words of Amber O’Hearn- Eat meat. Not too little. Mostly fat

(Tara) #4

Good Point of clarification. I have been Keto since May 2018. So I do have that going for me. There is NO way I could fast back when I was carbing it up all the time. I would have crashed by 10 am.

(Jane) #5

Same here - I would be miserable pre-keto!

I think fasting is great! I don’t know if my BMR has improved because I’ve never measured it, or my IR for that matter. All I know is I have seen evidence on the outside with my skin and hair from fasting so I know there is comparable healing happening on the inside I cannot see.