Feeling crummy after a week of awesome?

Hi!
So I have been carnivore for about 1 week and very low carb for a bit more than a couple of weeks. I’m doing it mostly because it keeps me feeling very cheery and I have recently been feeling a bit depressed. Been low carb most of the last 6yrs before that but not just recently. After starting low carb and especially carnivore again I was feeling fantastic- super cheery, lots of energy, the only problem I had is diarrhea which I get every time I go very low carb (even if I’m not carnivore). A few days ago I started feeling less cheery suddenly and now the last two days I have woken up in the middle of the night with really bad runs and nauseous. I feel fine in the day. At the moment I haven’t had anything to eat and I feel good other than tired from lack of sleep. Not particularly hungry and no stomach upset. Diet is generally local eggs, bacon, steak, ground beef and last night I had wild salmon. Steak is the thing I eat most- especially t-bones from a grass fed cow. Day 1 of this I did not add fat to my diet (not even to cook) which is the way I have been eating this whole time pretty much. Day 2 I added tallow (grass fed again) thinking maybe my cow is too lean but I felt worse last night than the night before actually. Considering going back on LCHF but I don’t want to give up too easily because last time I did I regretted it because I never feel happier than when I am on carnivore. I look good, lost 6lbs, skin is clear and softer, my abs are starting to show, otherwise this is going well but I am not sure if I can take another night like last night. How can this be so good for my mental health and appearance but not my gut health? What could be causing this?

(Chris) #2

Rendered fat can cause the shits, as well as drinking anything an hour or so before or after eating only beef. As far as the depression, it’s only been a week and you’re not adapted to no plants yet, I wouldn’t chalk anything up this soon. It can take months to fully adapt to carnivore even coming from long term low carb.

Thanks, yes it hasn’t been long. Guess I was hoping my mood would stay high since it started that way I thought I got lucky. I’ll try limiting the water.

(Chris) #4

Many people have reported symptoms (emotional/psychological and physical) “rearing their ugly heads” as they are somewhat exposed by eliminating plants. At least most of those stories ended up evening back out and the waters calming down. That’s my scientific answer. /s

But in all seriousness, I’d just stick with it and keep track of what happens to you.

Breaking my fast now with steak n eggz. Hope I feel okay tonight!

What is the problem with rendered fat?
And how could I striktly eat Carnivore when I don’t use it?
I mean, when I roast the meat I need some fat in the skillet. And this is normaly tallow. And tallow is rendered fat…

(Chris) #8

My assumption is that rendered fat is liquid so it moves through you quicker? Not entirely certain on that. If you cook a ribeye you’ve most likely still got “solid” fat pockets in there to eat.

I do not understand your question. You eat carnivore by eating the meat you like and can afford and not eating plants.

Now I understand. Rendered fat is fine to use as a pan lubricant if you need it, but using it like a sauce or a butter is what can be the problem.

(Tovan Nhsh) #9

Did this issue ever resolve itself? Are you still eating carnivore?

(Chris) #10

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/eims-journal/66416/35

Last time this person posted was in December - fyi. Not sure what happened after this but they were “feeling better” in their final post, at least. Hopefully they respond to you.

This issue is resolved now I think. Because it would come and go time will tell but the last time it happened I pinned it down to probably dehydration and/or the fact that I have had many rounds of antibiotics this last year. I started taking a probiotic at the suggestion of a naturopath and it seemed to help. I also added an electrolyte drink, also at her suggestion. It is unfortunately not super carnivore since it has stevia and natural flavors but it has made a huge difference for me too. I also stopped eating rendered tallow and now fry beef fat trim in the pan with my steak. I dont eat too late before bed or until over full at dinner. For some reason eating too much at dinner and then going to bed messes me up. I do still eat carnivore but I have been on and off the wagon since December. I kept falling off because I was having these digestion issues but going back to it for the mood lifting…when I am on it I am still consistently happier and more stable mentally than when I am off.