Feeling cravings for the 1st time in weeks

(David) #1

Next Monday will mark 5 weeks into my keto lifestyle. I thought carb cravings and hunger generally were a thing of the past, but oh boy, right now I could sink a bag of anything bad. It has just come over me like a wave. I don’t think I will cave but the pilot just announced that we should fasten our seat belts as we are encountering some turbulence. Our bodies are funny things indeed.

(Cheryl) #2

One trick I used for carb cravings was to eat something with a completely different flavor profile like olives, pickles or sauerkraut. Also, eat something yummy and fatty like a steak or bacon until you’re full. Something good for on the go is to bake bacon wrapped avocado slices for 35ish mimutes and carry those with you. You got this!!!

(Cheryl) #3

minutes

I get those waves too. It is often when I am tired and/or stressed. I have had it happen in a supermarket too which is a dangerous time! I think sideways of something that I CAN eat that would feel decadent right now and go for that. Or do something totally different that will take my mind off it for a while that has nothing to do with food. Get yourself a cuppa and go down a rabbit hole of funny videos on YouTube or something that will make you smile and peak your interest.

(David) #5

Thanks Cheryl. Appreciate the good wishes.

(David) #6

Thanks Daisy. That cuppa sounds like a good idea.

Depending what the craving is for, there is often a keto version you can try anyway. That can be a rabbit hole online in itself - recipes!

Can you pin point that craving any further? As in…chocolate?..bananas?..ice cream?..lemonaide?..

Maybe the craving is drawing your attention to a specific nutrient your body is craving? and not necessarily something carby? My guess is that our bodies has a memory of what vitamin and minerals (nutrients) are contained in certain foods, so cravings call for those foods. Just a hunch.

(David) #9

I think that’s a good point. Can I say without shame that my craving was for mashed potatoes and butter.

potassium craving??

(David) #11

I remember Brenda Zorn mentioning recipies. I started off trying new things but this planning has fallen off in the last few days and my food has become a bit samey. When I overthink things its a bit easy to imagine everything is connected (but maybe it is :))

Oh man. I often dream of baked potatoes and butter. Sometimes it will come down to simply craving something you used to love and basically can’t have anymore. It is hard but there are some times when we just have to suck it up. Having a system in place that helps you get through these moments will help though. You need an emergency landing plan!

(David) #13

If you call that correctly you deserve a prize. Ąs chance would have it I bought some electrolyte s supplements yesterday and they have potassium in them.

Awesome…crossing my fingers you figure this out. Let us know how it turns out, this is a great opportunity to learn from you. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Could be. Loaded with vitamin C too so maybe that too?

Good point, Daisy. Test one variable at a time…see what works.

(David) #17

Right now, ‘vitamin sleep’ is what I need. One mini challenge survived. Thanks everyone for the support tonight :slight_smile:

(David) #18

PS I am going to fall asleep listening to the 2kd episodes on supplements. Night all.

Sleep well x

(David) #20

Just by way of an update, no cravings at all in the last few days. I have been taking an electrolyte supplement (Mg, K, C, Na) and a cod liver (which my auto correct typed as food lover, lol) oil tablet daily. I will keep taking them for the foreseeable future. Mashed potato? Get thee behind me!