Feedback macros - first few days of keto

(Bobby) #1

Hello guys,
Thanks for reading this. I’ve spent a lot of time learning about keto and feel that I have a good grasp of the working and ‘rules’ of it.

According to a calculator I found online these are the stats I am aiming for:
1458 kcal
106 gr fat
max 15 carbs
110 gr protein

I like having one meal a day (omad) and I expect a lot from the combination of intermittent fasting and ketosis. For the past few days I’ve started adapting my one meal to keto. Please have a look at my marcos: http://imgur.com/a/NQj9B

Although I don’t hit my exact macros, I feel as if I am not far off. Do you agree?
Then how come my charts look completely different from the 5/25/70 charts that I’m used to seeing. Are my calculated goals not right?

Thanks !

(Mike W.) #2

Your protein seems high and your fat seems low. How did you calculate your protein?Also if you are just starting out, I would personally hold off on OMAD. You really need to eat a lot when you’re working on getting fat adapted. The biggest thing to worry about is keeping your carbs around 20 and eating fat until you’re satiated.

(Bobby) #3

Hi Mike,
Thank you for taking your time and helping me out - much appreciated.

I’ve calculated everything from the nutrition labels on the packaging, only the avocado and courgette didn’t come with one. I’m not too sure about net carbs and total carbs, as here in the Netherlands I think it only shows net carbs. The carbs don’t seem to be a problem though - anything under 20 gram is okay I guess?

Would you think my goals are okay? (max 15 gr carbs, 106 gr fat, 110 gr protein).

I’ll try to adjust my diet so it contains more fat and less protein. Who would have thought, before finding keto, that the challenge would be to add more fat to a diet :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

(Brad) #4

I would change the macros a bit
Carbs are ok
Protein <100
Fat >150

(Mike W.) #5

You’re welcome, Bob. Hey, my Mom was born in the Netherlands!

(Bobby) #6

Thanks guys!
The past two days I’ve upped my game a bit.

Saterday I had a delicious very fat homemade coleslaw salad with a ‘normal’ salad, yesterday I had keto pancakes with big saldes. Here’s the macros: http://imgur.com/a/Fr1z6

Looking better?

Hi! How much do you weigh?
From the graphs your green protein does look too high. Is this an app or your own spread sheet? A lot of ketoers use fitnesspal.

Second chart looks better :blush:

(Bobby) #9

Thanks!

My stats:
Height: 6 ft 2 / 190cm
Weight: 233 pounds / 106 kilo
Doing OMAD, fits me really well. I do not starve myself, genuinely not hungry during day. Trying to get a lot of green leafs in too, and aim around 1600 kcal per OMAD.

I’m calculating all my macros myself because I found that a lot of the info in MYP is not consistent with the info on the labels on the food I buy. The charts therefore I plot myself, but I plot the amount of carbs, protein and fat in grams. It confused me when I read that you should calculate the calories for each group, and not so much the amount (grams).

Am I doing it wrong?

(Crow T. Robot) #10

It depends on your goals, so that’s why you are seeing different numbers from different sources. For people wanting high ketones for therapeutic effect, high fat in the 70-80% range is needed, but if you are just looking to lose body fat, many people find it best to keep protein high and drop the fat to about 1:1 or less with protein, which makes your targets pretty good. I wouldn’t restrict calories that much, though, especially at first.